Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Hud Hud is offline

Default Carrots are in the ground

It was a nice, sunny day here in zone 5 Ohio. I went out back and raked the
soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows of carrots. The seed packet
says plants will appear in 7 to 14 days. Pretty exciting. I can't wait to
see the sprouts. Someone here recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable
Favorites." I want to thank you. Sorry I can't remember your name. I have
the book now and it's just great for a beginner like me. The book
recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is watering them
once per day adequate?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hud wrote:
It was a nice, sunny day here in zone 5 Ohio. I went out back and raked the
soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows of carrots. The seed packet
says plants will appear in 7 to 14 days. Pretty exciting. I can't wait to
see the sprouts. Someone here recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable
Favorites." I want to thank you. Sorry I can't remember your name. I have
the book now and it's just great for a beginner like me. The book
recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is watering them
once per day adequate?

Probably me. Great little book isn't it? Funny thing is I put in my
carrots today...no sun to do it by though.

Don't expect the carrots to germinate within two weeks. Carrots will
take longer...up to a month. Some people plant some radish at the same
time cause they would mature and be picked just as the carrots really
get going. (I don't cause I'm not a fan of radishes).

So, don't worry if you don't see anything until the end of the month.
Just don't let the area dry out.

To add, I've also put in my spuds, turnip, peas and onions. I'm well on
my way...despite a chilly spring.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's ice chilled Far East.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

cloud dreamer wrote:
Hud wrote:
[...]

Oops...meant to add about the watering...yes...keep it watered lightly
once a day until it germinates...don't let the ground get crusty dry
until they're established and from then on, keep an even watering schedule.

Since it's been so cold this spring for me (barely into the 40s F yet),
my carrots this year are under a mini greenhouse (4x16 - 2' high...great
little setup)...so I have a soaker hose in there set on a timer for a
watering once a day in the morning.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East
Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Hud" wrote in message
It was a nice, sunny day here in zone 5 Ohio. I went out back and raked
the soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows of carrots. The seed
packet says plants will appear in 7 to 14 days. Pretty exciting. I can't
wait to see the sprouts. Someone here recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable
Favorites." I want to thank you. Sorry I can't remember your name. I
have the book now and it's just great for a beginner like me. The book
recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is watering
them once per day adequate?

It may be but that is enitrely dependant upon your local conditions. If the
soil surface always looks moist to you then once a day should be enough.

It would certainly not be enough where I live. The way to do it to avoid
drying out is to put hessian (I think that is called burlap in the US) on
top of the rows and to water that but to lift it every day and peer under it
and at the first sight of the seeds bursting forth in a row, to lift it off
and then to treat the carrots as one would any young seedlings

Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

cloud dreamer wrote:
Hud wrote:
[...]

Bless all you gardeners, you keep me more or less sane. I too got some
carrot and, radish seed in the ground today. They join a couple of
tomato plants, bush beans, peas and, lettuce. Spaded up one of the corn
and melon beds but I got rained out before I could finish.

Germination takes forever. I'm really tempted to spend a fortune at the
nursery for plants. Luckily, I'm too cheap.

Supposed to be almost 90F on Monday. Hope I'm ready for it.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Hud" wrote in message
I went out back and raked the soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows
of carrots. The seed packet says plants will appear in 7 to 14
days...Someone ... recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable Favorites." The
book recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is
watering them once per day adequate?

My father in law (now deceased) never had problems getting his carrots to
sprout. He would water the rows well, and then place a board over the row.
The carrots always sprouted when the seed packet predicted, so maybe that
had a difference.

~~ Shelly ~~
Zone 4 in Oregon

Old 04-05-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 3 May 2007 21:16:11 -0400, "Hud"
wrote:

It was a nice, sunny day here in zone 5 Ohio. I went out back and raked the
soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows of carrots. The seed packet
says plants will appear in 7 to 14 days. Pretty exciting. I can't wait to
see the sprouts. Someone here recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable
Favorites." I want to thank you. Sorry I can't remember your name. I have
the book now and it's just great for a beginner like me. The book
recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is watering them
once per day adequate?

The book in not just for beginners. It is a lovely read for anyone. I
have the book, too.

Boron