Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Carrots are in the ground

"Hud" wrote in message
It was a nice, sunny day here in zone 5 Ohio. I went out back and raked
the soil in the garden and planted three 7' rows of carrots. The seed
packet says plants will appear in 7 to 14 days. Pretty exciting. I can't
wait to see the sprouts. Someone here recommended Lois Hole's "Vegetable
Favorites." I want to thank you. Sorry I can't remember your name. I
have the book now and it's just great for a beginner like me. The book
recommends keeping the carrot seed damp for several days. Is watering
them once per day adequate?

It may be but that is enitrely dependant upon your local conditions. If the
soil surface always looks moist to you then once a day should be enough.

It would certainly not be enough where I live. The way to do it to avoid
drying out is to put hessian (I think that is called burlap in the US) on
top of the rows and to water that but to lift it every day and peer under it
and at the first sight of the seeds bursting forth in a row, to lift it off
and then to treat the carrots as one would any young seedlings