Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Hunt Roger Hunt is offline

Default mowers from homebase

Charlie Pridham wrote

"Road_Hog®" wrote in message
.. .

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle cable or choke, and the bit on the engine
bent
so as to prevent movement, "take it back" I said so he did, got his

money
back but discovered they were all like it and Homebase swore blind it

was
deliberate!!

They are deliberately made like that. They're built to a cost, that is the
price you pay, if you want sub £100 petrol mowers.

Hence the post! as the wretched thing would not start without the choke,
once I had bent the controller so it would operate then it would start. £100
for something that will not work seems expensive to me.
I know the saying goes "You get what you pay for" but my experience with
mowers is you don't, had a great Honda but the deck rotted, had a great
Victor but the deck rotted, and a long time ago had a great mountfield,
Aluminium deck, which cracked. So I now buy cheap and replace when the deck
rots.

The metal decks have to be cleaned and rinsed scrupulously, especially
every nook and cranny underneath, after *every* use otherwise they do
rot at a fantastic speed.
--
Roger Hunt