Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mowers from homebase

My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle cable or choke, and the bit on the engine bent
so as to prevent movement, "take it back" I said so he did, got his money
back but discovered they were all like it and Homebase swore blind it was
deliberate!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle cable or choke, and the bit on the engine
bent
so as to prevent movement, "take it back" I said so he did, got his money
back but discovered they were all like it and Homebase swore blind it was
deliberate!!

They are deliberately made like that. They're built to a cost, that is the
price you pay, if you want sub £100 petrol mowers.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_Hog®" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle cable or choke, and the bit on the engine
bent
so as to prevent movement, "take it back" I said so he did, got his

money
back but discovered they were all like it and Homebase swore blind it

was
deliberate!!

They are deliberately made like that. They're built to a cost, that is the
price you pay, if you want sub £100 petrol mowers.

Hence the post! as the wretched thing would not start without the choke,
once I had bent the controller so it would operate then it would start. £100
for something that will not work seems expensive to me.
I know the saying goes "You get what you pay for" but my experience with
mowers is you don't, had a great Honda but the deck rotted, had a great
Victor but the deck rotted, and a long time ago had a great mountfield,
Aluminium deck, which cracked. So I now buy cheap and replace when the deck
rots.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote

"Road_Hog®" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

The metal decks have to be cleaned and rinsed scrupulously, especially
every nook and cranny underneath, after *every* use otherwise they do
rot at a fantastic speed.
--
Roger Hunt
Old 04-05-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Hence the post! as the wretched thing would not start without the choke,
once I had bent the controller so it would operate then it would start.
£100
for something that will not work seems expensive to me.
I know the saying goes "You get what you pay for" but my experience with
mowers is you don't, had a great Honda but the deck rotted, had a great
Victor but the deck rotted, and a long time ago had a great mountfield,
Aluminium deck, which cracked. So I now buy cheap and replace when the
deck
rots.

That's why some of them are made of polymer now.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 May 2007 Charlie Pridham wrote:

My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle cable or choke, and the bit on the engine bent
so as to prevent movement, "take it back" I said so he did, got his money
back but discovered they were all like it and Homebase swore blind it was
deliberate!!

I've not been impressed with Homebase since I had a look at their water
butts a few years ago. All were damaged in some way. I had another look
last year and nothing had improved.

Trouble is, B & Q are several miles away.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 May 2007 17:51:35 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle cable or choke, and the bit on the engine bent
so as to prevent movement, "take it back" I said so he did, got his money
back but discovered they were all like it and Homebase swore blind it was
deliberate!!

I bought a Qualcast Trojan Self propelled 18 ins blade mower from
Homebase when I started my gardening business six years ago paid
circa £200 quid for it ...... proved 2 be one of the best purchases
I've ever made . It's still going strong after continuous use and
coping with all sorts of jobs etc. All I do is change the oil + plug
at the start of season + blade now & again. Starts first time every
season . No problem with deck rusting ... good idea to spray underside
with waxoil when new & then now and again.#
Build quality V Good ( made in Italy like most ) B&S engine which IMO
are the best ...... don't think you can get this model anymore but
must be similar about.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle......

I bought a Qualcast Trojan Self propelled 18 ins blade mower from
Homebase when I started my gardening business six years ago ...

How do you find working as a gardener - like it?
How quiet does it get over the winter months?
And how long did it take you before you were making money - did you
already have customers before starting?

I'm thinking of doing the same myself, but I worry about getting
customers.
Thanks
Alan.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle......

I bought a Qualcast Trojan Self propelled 18 ins blade mower from
Homebase when I started my gardening business six years ago ...

How do you find working as a gardener - like it?
How quiet does it get over the winter months?
And how long did it take you before you were making money - did you
already have customers before starting?

I'm thinking of doing the same myself, but I worry about getting
customers.
Thanks
Alan.

I love it ... working oudoors ( especially with weather at moment ) I
was in profit after first year - after capital investment on equipment
etc. However I was 54 when I started and didn't have a mortgage etc.
started off part time & soon built up regular customer base &
maintenance round etc. snowballed from there - earn good money with
chainsaw work - nothing serious but learnt how to use a chainsaw 20
years ago . Also doing landscaping / design projects. Yes Winter
months are quiet but then I do property maintenance + handyman work
which makes a nice change . Usually busy 10 months of year with enough
work for me alone which means I able to keep my prices competitive
without all the extra cost & hastle of employees etc. Also only travel
15 miles or so a day!
However if I was younger I would take on one or two to help as there
is plenty of work out there especially with pubs , offices etc.
Plenty of people are money rich & time poor or lack the essential
expertise & plant knowledge . I'm no horticulturist but have * green
fingers * and u can always get help on Web ......... here is as good a
place as any :-)
All the new houses being built need gardens - designed & constructed
& people are moving all the time . I have some clients where I have
done 3 different gardens for them !

Where do you live if I can be of any further help let me know
Good reading is * Starting your own Gardening Business * by Paul Power

Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

topo wrote:

On Sat, 5 May 2007 17:11:36 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:

How do you find working as a gardener - like it?
I'm thinking of doing the same myself, but I worry about getting
customers.

I love it ... working oudoors ( especially with weather at moment )

Snip good advice.
Where do you live if I can be of any further help let me know
Good reading is * Starting your own Gardening Business * by Paul Power

Thanks for the advice. I'm sick of my job currently, and a mate does a
bit of gardening, all he does is dig and plant, no mowing etc, and he
reckons there is so much work around that he turns down 20 hours a week.
I live in Leicester.
I have put a lot of thought into it, but it is taking the first step
that is the most daunting - I've grown comfy with a monthly (low) wage,
and worry about getting enough work to make a go of it, but I'm not one
for sitting on my arse, so should be OK.
As well as the gardening/mowing/tree trimming etc, I'd do outside taps,
fencing and any other jobs people need doing. Quality is what I'll be
promoting, as well as full insurance and being registered - I'm sure
more work can be had by making sure the customer knows this is a legit
business.
Thanks
Alan

Old 05-05-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Alan

I have only just fallen into this thread and am very interested in what you
wish to do and the fact that you are in Leicester :-) My wife is Leicester
born and bred and we spent 15 years there or so before returning to the Isle
of Wight.

"Self employed" "Working for yourself" Wonderful wonderful wonderful

BUT many many problems along with the joys.

I feel the MOST important thing to survive in business is customer
satisfaction followed by customer satisfaction followed closely behind is
customer satisfaction. I started out on my own, took on staff, grew very
quickly on customer satisfaction to 2 factories with a staff load of 26 and
it was only Maggie Thatcher which took me down with lots of other
businesses. I then started again and at 70 am STILL turning old customers
away. Having said that I have just started a new business in a less
stressful environment for Tax Avoidance reasons. Another story.

Your friend is turning away 20 hours a week. But it is the busy season in
the garden. My wife has just come in and said 'I could do with an army of
gardeners to help me' What would you do in the winter?

It was never published but I wrote a book a few years back called "The New
Business Minefield". Long since gone on a computer which died, but if I can
help with tips and advice, contact me via my RNEBA website.

As a matter of interest, what part of Leicester? We were Humberstone. Did a
nice property development there :-)

Best wishes

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 05-05-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice. I'm sick of my job currently, and a mate does a
bit of gardening, all he does is dig and plant, no mowing etc, and he
reckons there is so much work around that he turns down 20 hours a week.

Your friend is turning away 20 hours a week. But it is the busy season in
the garden. My wife has just come in and said 'I could do with an army of
gardeners to help me' What would you do in the winter?

Well, yes, that is another worry, though my mate seems to think digging
and leaf clearance keeps him going in Nov. and Dec., and Jan and Feb are
trimming bushes and digging for the next crop, or getting beds ready.
I'm not so sure.

As a matter of interest, what part of Leicester? We were Humberstone. Did a
nice property development there :-)

Blaby now, used to be S.Wigston. Humberstone has changed a lot, there is
now a new development at the end of what used to be
Thurmaston/Humberstone Lane, it's called 'Hamilton', new build egg box
houses, taking over a massive area from Humberstone to near Scraptoft,
along with the obligatory massive Tesco, and going down the hill toward
Rushey Meads is all industrial estates now, leaving around a mile of
green space to Barkby, which is also under attack from the extension of
Syston and Thurmaston.
Alan.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice. I'm sick of my job currently, and a mate does a
bit of gardening, all he does is dig and plant, no mowing etc, and he
reckons there is so much work around that he turns down 20 hours a
week.

Your friend is turning away 20 hours a week. But it is the busy season in
the garden. My wife has just come in and said 'I could do with an army of
gardeners to help me' What would you do in the winter?

Well, yes, that is another worry, though my mate seems to think digging
and leaf clearance keeps him going in Nov. and Dec., and Jan and Feb are
trimming bushes and digging for the next crop, or getting beds ready.
I'm not so sure.

Don't know what it's like there, but don't forget that you have to pay to
get rid or your loads :-(( At least trades people do here on the Isle of
Wight.

As a matter of interest, what part of Leicester? We were Humberstone. Did
nice property development there :-)

Blaby now, used to be S.Wigston. Humberstone has changed a lot, there is
now a new development at the end of what used to be
Thurmaston/Humberstone Lane, it's called 'Hamilton', new build egg box
houses, taking over a massive area from Humberstone to near Scraptoft,
along with the obligatory massive Tesco, and going down the hill toward
Rushey Meads is all industrial estates now, leaving around a mile of
green space to Barkby, which is also under attack from the extension of
Syston and Thurmaston.
Alan.

Of course Hamilton High School on Keyham Lane West was the start of that
back in the 1960's :-((

Yes I know it all well and I was back in Scraptoft a couple of years ago
dealing with property.

As I said working for yourself is great, but there are headaches and you
have to be oh so tough and oh so polite :-))

If you do decide to have a go at it, I feel that the best advice I can
offer, is turn up when you say you will. 9.00 am on Tuesday is not 11.00 am
Wednesday without a telephone call first. But there is so much more than
that :-))

Good luck. If I can help, you know where to contact me.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My son just bought one 20% off, not surprised he couldn't get it to run,
when I had a look no throttle......

I bought a Qualcast Trojan Self propelled 18 ins blade mower from
Homebase when I started my gardening business six years ago ...

How do you find working as a gardener - like it?
How quiet does it get over the winter months?
And how long did it take you before you were making money - did you
already have customers before starting?

I'm thinking of doing the same myself, but I worry about getting
customers.

Depending on the prosperity of those in your area, I'd say you won't have
trouble getting customers. We employ someone just to cut the grass here and
he uses his own equipment and charges around £12 per hour (may be slightly
more now). He comes every week in season, every fortnight in the shoulder
months. For others, he does other gardening work than lawn mowing, too. In
winter, he does painting and decorating and other odd jobs for people and
seems never to be out of work. Mind you, he also has a police pension, which
probably helps.
His problems seems to be finding enough time to fit in all the people who
want his help. I doubt it will ever make you rich but there is no doubt
that there's a shortage of helpful domestic and garden labour about. It
might be a good idea for you to learn a few rather deeper garden skills
about planting times, taking cuttings, gathering seeds etc., asuming you
don't have those already.
Last year, at Hampton Court Flower Show, we met a winning garden designer
who had gone from being a jobbing gardener in Cornwall to doing a part time
RHS course, to training at Wisley, to running his own garden design
business, all in ten years. Just shows where things can lead!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk