Old 05-05-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Shubunkins

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:

"Ralph & His Clowder" wrote in message

I've now got two males and about nine females -- and waiting to see if
any of the clutches hatch. I love hatchlings, but I dread finding homes
for them. My 1500 gallon pond is now on overload between the turtles and
fish.

===========================
Can't you release them in some natural body of water? We have a
beautiful huge lake less than a mile from our house. I take any baby
snappers, excess tadpoles etc. there. If I didn't my ponds would be
totally overrun with critters.

=============================
Bear in mind releasing non-native species into natural bodies of water is
illegal in a lot of places so it would be a no, no for the
Shubunkins.....slightly different when it comes to creatures that have
come and found you and your pond as a place to go forth and multiply....

I assumed his turtles were native fauna. :-) Shubunkins shouldn't be
released in natural bodies of water. The snappers, frogs, newts and toads
are native to my area.

still it would probably worth giving your local authority a
quick call to see where you can legally release such things..... there may
well be some natural reserves where the release of endangered local fauna
and others may well be very welcome......

This is an excellent idea.

on the other hand,
certainly in the UK, certain species cannot be disturbed even if they
decide to breed in your pond, a puddle or whatever in your garden.....part
of pond keeping is also about wildlife preservation......

Gill

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.