Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default What is the best cherry tomato plant for growing in pots on balcony?

SharkMan BMW wrote:
My balcony is south-facing, lots of sun all day.
If climate is an issue, I live in Montreal, Canada.
I would like to know which kind of cherry tomato plant would be best suited
to growing in pots on my balcony.
Thank you for your input!

On of the best small tomatoes I found for containers is called Florida
Petite. It is very early (40 days) and grows to about 8 or 9 inches.
The fruits are about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Another good one (prefers
hanging baskets) is Florida Basket. It is not as early (70 days) but
only grows to about 6 inches. It has 1 inch fruits. Here is a picture of
it from my garden: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/page24.htm

Another slightly larger plant is Red Robin. Plants grow about 8 to 12
inches and the fruits are 1 - 1 1/4 inches. It is also an early (55
days) variety.

If you are looking for tomatoes plants that have larger sizes tomatoes
try Patio F Hybrid. The plants grow to about 2 feet and the fruit is
about 3 - 4 inches. This variety is 70 days.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL