Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is the best cherry tomato plant for growing in pots on balcony?

My balcony is south-facing, lots of sun all day.
If climate is an issue, I live in Montreal, Canada.
I would like to know which kind of cherry tomato plant would be best suited
to growing in pots on my balcony.
Thank you for your input!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 4, 9:17 pm, "SharkMan BMW" wrote:
My balcony is south-facing, lots of sun all day.
If climate is an issue, I live in Montreal, Canada.
I would like to know which kind of cherry tomato plant would be best suited
to growing in pots on my balcony.
Thank you for your input!

There's a guy on my local hort group who has Red Robin and Yellow
Canary cherry tomatoes growing in 5" pots, although he says he
normally puts them in 12" pots. He has other varieties of dwarves as
well. He apparently started the seeds January 1 and they are producing
now - he says they normally take about 100 days, but they got slowed
down by some cloudy weather. They might be heritage tomatoes so I
don't know how readily available they are.

I've tried Sweet 100's and Sugar snack in much larger pots - probably
about 15" wide and the same deep. Sugar snack was better producer,
but I preferred the taste of the Sweet 100's. I've also tried sweet
1000's. They grew well, but it got cold early that year and I didn't
get much out of them.

Dora

Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

SharkMan BMW wrote:
My balcony is south-facing, lots of sun all day.
If climate is an issue, I live in Montreal, Canada.
I would like to know which kind of cherry tomato plant would be best suited
to growing in pots on my balcony.
Thank you for your input!

On of the best small tomatoes I found for containers is called Florida
Petite. It is very early (40 days) and grows to about 8 or 9 inches.
The fruits are about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Another good one (prefers
hanging baskets) is Florida Basket. It is not as early (70 days) but
only grows to about 6 inches. It has 1 inch fruits. Here is a picture of
it from my garden: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/page24.htm

Another slightly larger plant is Red Robin. Plants grow about 8 to 12
inches and the fruits are 1 - 1 1/4 inches. It is also an early (55
days) variety.

If you are looking for tomatoes plants that have larger sizes tomatoes
try Patio F Hybrid. The plants grow to about 2 feet and the fruit is
about 3 - 4 inches. This variety is 70 days.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL