Old 05-05-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default mowers from homebase

"A.Lee" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice. I'm sick of my job currently, and a mate does a
bit of gardening, all he does is dig and plant, no mowing etc, and he
reckons there is so much work around that he turns down 20 hours a week.
I live in Leicester.
I have put a lot of thought into it, but it is taking the first step
that is the most daunting - I've grown comfy with a monthly (low) wage,
and worry about getting enough work to make a go of it, but I'm not one
for sitting on my arse, so should be OK.
As well as the gardening/mowing/tree trimming etc, I'd do outside taps,
fencing and any other jobs people need doing. Quality is what I'll be
promoting, as well as full insurance and being registered - I'm sure
more work can be had by making sure the customer knows this is a legit
business.
Thanks
Alan
--

Hi Alan

I have only just fallen into this thread and am very interested in what you
wish to do and the fact that you are in Leicester :-) My wife is Leicester
born and bred and we spent 15 years there or so before returning to the Isle
of Wight.

"Self employed" "Working for yourself" Wonderful wonderful wonderful

BUT many many problems along with the joys.

I feel the MOST important thing to survive in business is customer
satisfaction followed by customer satisfaction followed closely behind is
customer satisfaction. I started out on my own, took on staff, grew very
quickly on customer satisfaction to 2 factories with a staff load of 26 and
it was only Maggie Thatcher which took me down with lots of other
businesses. I then started again and at 70 am STILL turning old customers
away. Having said that I have just started a new business in a less
stressful environment for Tax Avoidance reasons. Another story.

Your friend is turning away 20 hours a week. But it is the busy season in
the garden. My wife has just come in and said 'I could do with an army of
gardeners to help me' What would you do in the winter?

It was never published but I wrote a book a few years back called "The New
Business Minefield". Long since gone on a computer which died, but if I can
help with tips and advice, contact me via my RNEBA website.

As a matter of interest, what part of Leicester? We were Humberstone. Did a
nice property development there :-)

Best wishes

Mike

--