Old 05-05-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alrafter alrafter is offline

Default Rapeseed beetles?

On May 4, 6:13 pm, (Carol Hague) wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Carol Hague
writes
I was chatting with one of the other allotment holders yesterday and he
mentioned that he'd been told by someone else not to put his runner
beans out until June because there are beetles which live on the
rapeseed which will strip the young beans if they're out at the same
time as the rapeseed crop.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

The reference might be to the crucifer flea beetle (Phyllotreta
cruciferae) or the pollen beetle (Meligethes aeneus).

I'd expect that it would be Brassicas and other cruciferous crops (white
mustard, radish, rocket) that would be at greater risk.

I thought it sounded a bit odd !

Thanks for the replies !

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"

I wouldn't put them out until June anyway because of the frost.