Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rapeseed beetles?

I was chatting with one of the other allotment holders yesterday and he
mentioned that he'd been told by someone else not to put his runner
beans out until June because there are beetles which live on the
rapeseed which will strip the young beans if they're out at the same
time as the rapeseed crop.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"

Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Carol Hague wrote:
I was chatting with one of the other allotment holders yesterday and he
mentioned that he'd been told by someone else not to put his runner
beans out until June because there are beetles which live on the
rapeseed which will strip the young beans if they're out at the same
time as the rapeseed crop.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

A case of rape of the runner beans? :-)
Old 04-05-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Carol Hague wrote:
: I was chatting with one of the other allotment holders yesterday and
: he mentioned that he'd been told by someone else not to put his runner
: beans out until June because there are beetles which live on the
: rapeseed which will strip the young beans if they're out at the same
: time as the rapeseed crop.
:
: Anyone else ever heard of this?

Never heard that one, I understood that those beetles were attracted
predominantly to yellow flowers and didn't think they did much harm, they
don't here anyway

Old 04-05-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
I was chatting with one of the other allotment holders yesterday and he
mentioned that he'd been told by someone else not to put his runner
beans out until June because there are beetles which live on the
rapeseed which will strip the young beans if they're out at the same
time as the rapeseed crop.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

No, rape is a very different plant from beans. The rape beetle doesn't even
chew the rape blossom, it eats the pollen.

It would be very difficult to find a time from spring to autumn when there
isn't some rape around.

Mary

Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Carol Hague
writes
I was chatting with one of the other allotment holders yesterday and he
mentioned that he'd been told by someone else not to put his runner
beans out until June because there are beetles which live on the
rapeseed which will strip the young beans if they're out at the same
time as the rapeseed crop.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

The reference might be to the crucifer flea beetle (Phyllotreta
cruciferae) or the pollen beetle (Meligethes aeneus).

I'd expect that it would be Brassicas and other cruciferous crops (white
mustard, radish, rocket) that would be at greater risk.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 04-05-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Carol Hague
writes
I was chatting with one of the other allotment holders yesterday and he
mentioned that he'd been told by someone else not to put his runner
beans out until June because there are beetles which live on the
rapeseed which will strip the young beans if they're out at the same
time as the rapeseed crop.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

The reference might be to the crucifer flea beetle (Phyllotreta
cruciferae) or the pollen beetle (Meligethes aeneus).

I'd expect that it would be Brassicas and other cruciferous crops (white
mustard, radish, rocket) that would be at greater risk.

I thought it sounded a bit odd !

Thanks for the replies !

Old 05-05-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 4, 6:13 pm, (Carol Hague) wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't put them out until June anyway because of the frost.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alrafter wrote:

runner beans
I wouldn't put them out until June anyway because of the frost.

I think I'm going to have to risk it, before they climb out of the
cloche, grab the spade and do it themselves :-)

I guess it depends exactly where in the country you happen to be as
well.

--
Carol (near Derby)

Old 06-05-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Carol Hague wrote:
alrafter wrote:

runner beans
I wouldn't put them out until June anyway because of the frost.

I think I'm going to have to risk it, before they climb out of the
cloche, grab the spade and do it themselves :-)

I guess it depends exactly where in the country you happen to be as
well.

Right then, we can expect a frost any time now! ;-)