Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs Jim Marrs is offline

Default Queen or Foxtail Palms

I have grown both kinds and they will need some kind of protection. The fox
tail is pretty hardy and as long as you keep the frost off, they will
survive. Same with queen palm, so I keep mine in a pot and move it under the
patio cover or in the green house during cold spells. I have had temps in
the high teens, and the palms survived out but under the patio cover.
Again, its the frost that kills not necessarily the temperature. Obviously,
when temps go below lets say, 15 degrees the roots even in pots will start
to freeze, but those temps are rare in Central Texas.

Jim

"TargetPK" wrote in message
oups.com...
HAs any tried to grow queen or foxtail palms in Austin? I see they
are not recommended for this zone, but I was wondering if they can
make it here. I have seen some beautiful 45 gallon ones for sale, and
they seem reasonably priced. My worry is they will die in the
winter. The planting location would on the northwest side of a
house. Pretty close to the house on one side, and a cement wall on
the other. Thanks for the help!