Old 21-04-2007, 09:38 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Queen or Foxtail Palms

HAs any tried to grow queen or foxtail palms in Austin? I see they
are not recommended for this zone, but I was wondering if they can
make it here. I have seen some beautiful 45 gallon ones for sale, and
they seem reasonably priced. My worry is they will die in the
winter. The planting location would on the northwest side of a
house. Pretty close to the house on one side, and a cement wall on
the other. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

"TargetPK" wrote in message
roups.com...
HAs any tried to grow queen or foxtail palms in Austin? I see they
are not recommended for this zone, but I was wondering if they can
make it here. I have seen some beautiful 45 gallon ones for sale, and
they seem reasonably priced. My worry is they will die in the
winter. The planting location would on the northwest side of a
house. Pretty close to the house on one side, and a cement wall on
the other. Thanks for the help!

I've seen them in Houston, but they really wouldn't make it in one of
our three day ice situations which does happen. Since I've been
living in Austin (7 years) we've had some form of ice or sleet storm
every winter. This is an expensive plant to try. However, downtown
on Sixth St. there is a building with the word palm on it (I forget
just now) and there are foxtails there, but heavily protected in the
city with all the concrete which retains heat. Queen palms are iffy
and I doubt they would survive in our zone.

My opinion is this; if you can afford to lose them, plant them and
experiment. I would think the soil conditions are important to the
health of the plant and its ability to remain hardy.

Victoria
Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

I have grown both kinds and they will need some kind of protection. The fox
tail is pretty hardy and as long as you keep the frost off, they will
survive. Same with queen palm, so I keep mine in a pot and move it under the
patio cover or in the green house during cold spells. I have had temps in
the high teens, and the palms survived out but under the patio cover.
Again, its the frost that kills not necessarily the temperature. Obviously,
when temps go below lets say, 15 degrees the roots even in pots will start
to freeze, but those temps are rare in Central Texas.

Jim

oups.com...

Old 22-05-2007, 06:53 PM posted to austin.gardening

On May 1, 7:12 am, Jangchub wrote:
"TargetPK" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I am starting to see large ones at commercial sites all over town.
Check out the two large ones at the Taco Cabana on Riverside near
Lamar. They are beautiful.
I have had a small one in my garden for at least 6 years. It has
survived the 2-3 day ice storms fine. Of course, in these storms, the
lows have still been in the upper 20s. The just below freezing weather
doesn't seem to bother it. I also think that the lows at my house have
been above 25 in this decade.

Old 23-05-2007, 03:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

I am referring to queen palms in my previous post. I had never heard
of foxtail palms until this post. A lot of web sites rate foxtails
for zone 10-11. If that is true, they could be easily damaged here in
many winters. Books and sites have been wrong in them past about
hardiness, however.

Queen Palms ACP Gardening 1 20-07-2006 03:59 AM
Queen palms dingodog42 Gardening 0 24-03-2006 09:05 PM
** Queen Palms / 2 dead, 2 dying, 2 alive / Ganoderma / Fungi ?? ** [email protected] Gardening 2 17-03-2005 11:36 AM
Queen Palms..best fertilzer. Brandon Gardening 56 09-06-2004 02:07 PM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM