Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Spanish broom questions

The message
from "Zizz" contains these words:

I've a spanish broom that's about 5ft tall and about as wide that I'm a bit
worried about.
One of its three main branches became a bit top heavy toward the end of last
year and I've had to stake it for support but I was a bit late in doing that
and the whole plant is now leaning over to one side a bit.
What I'd like to do is replant it (in the same spot) so that it's more
upright and am worried that now is the wrong time as it's just starting to
show it's buds for this years first bloom and the scent is georgeous as well
as the stunning display of bright yellow pea-like flowers.
Does anyone know when the best time would be to re-plant my spanish broom as
I only got it last year and don't want to loose it!

You almost certainly will kill it if you try to replant it. Brooms
have a long taproot and not much else, which is why they so often keel
over at an angle, and are not longlived plants.They don't transplant
well after they have been planted out and become established.

Make sure that the main stem leaning over, has not worn a hole in the
soil around it; if it has, try ramming some earth down the sides (hard)
and restake it.

Janet.