Old 06-05-2007, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Almost dead apple tree

"kiticat" wrote in message
I have 3 apple trees grown as cordons. They were mature trees when we
moved in 10 years ago. We also have a pear tree grown in close

proximity.

I noticed to my horror yesterday that one of the apple trees appears

be almost dead. Whole branches are shrivelled with the bark peeling

off
them. Under some peeling areas near the root stock it is blackened. On
branches that are showing some life the leaves and blossom are

withered
and sparse.

Does this sound like fire blight? If it is I take it I need to remove
the entire tree? The two other trees in the cordon appear healthy but
I've been getting fewer apples each year and and they have had attacks
of woolly aphids.

If I replace one or all of the apple trees with new apple trees and

this
is fire blight am I asking for trouble?

Many thanks in advance.
Sarah

Sarah,

I think your best bet is to search in www.google.com (Images) using:
fire blight on apple trees and then you will be able to compare the
many relevant photographs in there with the state of your tree.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.