Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Almost dead apple tree

I have 3 apple trees grown as cordons. They were mature trees when we
moved in 10 years ago. We also have a pear tree grown in close proximity.

I noticed to my horror yesterday that one of the apple trees appears to
be almost dead. Whole branches are shrivelled with the bark peeling off
them. Under some peeling areas near the root stock it is blackened. On
branches that are showing some life the leaves and blossom are withered
and sparse.

Does this sound like fire blight? If it is I take it I need to remove
the entire tree? The two other trees in the cordon appear healthy but
I've been getting fewer apples each year and and they have had attacks
of woolly aphids.

If I replace one or all of the apple trees with new apple trees and this
is fire blight am I asking for trouble?

Many thanks in advance.
Sarah

Old 06-05-2007, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kiticat" wrote in message
[...]

Sarah,

I think your best bet is to search in www.google.com (Images) using:
fire blight on apple trees and then you will be able to compare the
many relevant photographs in there with the state of your tree.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:
I have 3 apple trees grown as cordons. They were mature trees when we

moved in 10 years ago. We also have a pear tree grown in close

proximity.
I noticed to my horror yesterday that one of the apple trees appears

be almost dead. Whole branches are shrivelled with the bark peeling

off
them. Under some peeling areas near the root stock it is blackened. On
branches that are showing some life the leaves and blossom are

withered
and sparse.

Does this sound like fire blight? If it is I take it I need to remove
the entire tree? The two other trees in the cordon appear healthy but
I've been getting fewer apples each year and and they have had attacks
of woolly aphids.

snip a bit.

I think your best bet is to search in www.google.com (Images) using:
fire blight on apple trees and then you will be able to compare the
many relevant photographs in there with the state of your tree.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thanks

Googling it, it does look almost identical except the few leaves left
haven't gone brown. A neighbour looked at it for me and declared it dead
so we dug it up. It was astonishingly easy to remove, the roots seemed
almost rotten and snapped easily. I don't think it was helped by the
astonishingly dry soil - even 18 inches down it was completely dry. No
signs of drought difficulties on the others though so perhaps its a
combination of factors.

Almost dead shrubs - what to do? Nick Maclaren[_5_] United Kingdom 1 20-04-2016 11:20 PM
Dead apple tree kblock Gardening 0 15-07-2007 07:45 AM
Tree dead or not dead ??? rsc Gardening 6 25-05-2004 12:07 PM
Help my plants are almost dead Ben Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 20-04-2003 06:20 AM