Old 07-05-2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Hyacinth and duckweed growth pics

In article om,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Our hyacinths and duckweed are in an interesting (to me) battle for
space. The duckweed spread over the berm ponds first thing in the
spring. Then the hyacinth grow, shade them and 'win'. The
balnketweed thrives until the hyacinth really gets going. Then single
cell cannot compete with vascular plants.

I posted a couple of pics of the competition over on The Freshwater
Aquarium. If you search for POND, the pics come right up. Too bad we
can't do pics here.

Jim

I just loaded my pond with new hyacinth a couple weeks ago. After a few
days of heavy chow-down by all my fat n'sassy goldfish (even fatter and
sassier now) the plants are starting to propagate a bit. Fish are
leaving them alone. This has always been my only problem with hyacinth.
I end up with plants with 1/4" roots for a while.