Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hyacinth and duckweed growth pics

Our hyacinths and duckweed are in an interesting (to me) battle for
space. The duckweed spread over the berm ponds first thing in the
spring. Then the hyacinth grow, shade them and 'win'. The
balnketweed thrives until the hyacinth really gets going. Then single
cell cannot compete with vascular plants.

I posted a couple of pics of the competition over on The Freshwater
Aquarium. If you search for POND, the pics come right up. Too bad we
can't do pics here.

Jim

Old 07-05-2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article om,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Our hyacinths and duckweed are in an interesting (to me) battle for
space. The duckweed spread over the berm ponds first thing in the
spring. Then the hyacinth grow, shade them and 'win'. The
balnketweed thrives until the hyacinth really gets going. Then single
cell cannot compete with vascular plants.

I posted a couple of pics of the competition over on The Freshwater
Aquarium. If you search for POND, the pics come right up. Too bad we
can't do pics here.

Jim

I just loaded my pond with new hyacinth a couple weeks ago. After a few
days of heavy chow-down by all my fat n'sassy goldfish (even fatter and
sassier now) the plants are starting to propagate a bit. Fish are
leaving them alone. This has always been my only problem with hyacinth.
I end up with plants with 1/4" roots for a while.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article om,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Our hyacinths and duckweed are in an interesting (to me) battle for
space. The duckweed spread over the berm ponds first thing in the
spring. Then the hyacinth grow, shade them and 'win'. The
balnketweed thrives until the hyacinth really gets going. Then single
cell cannot compete with vascular plants.

I posted a couple of pics of the competition over on The Freshwater
Aquarium. If you search for POND, the pics come right up. Too bad we
can't do pics here.

Jim

It certainly is possible to post pictures to this group, but most
non-binaries usenet groups frown on this.
Unless you prefer to host pictures yourself, a service like
www.photobucket.com works great, and is quick & easy to do.

Old 24-05-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hyacinths at 5 1/2 weeks crowding out dickweed

Our hyacinths continue to multiply like crazy. Here is the TFA
address of the thread that shows the starting hyacinth (~4/06) and
their present state (5/21). They have multiplied so much the duckweed
and parrots feather are being overshadowed. Ultimately, they will be
mostly gone. Once the berm pond is full, they go UP to about 18". We
will be composting them berore that to keep grabbing nutrients in the
rapid preroduction growth.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...2f911bd4f67a05

Jim

Old 24-05-2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hyacinths flowering at 5 1/2 weeks

The hyacinth are starting to flower. Here is a pic.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...?part=2&view=1

Jim

Old 24-05-2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:43:42 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

The hyacinth are starting to flower. Here is a pic.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...?part=2&view=1

Jim

Very cool! The one WH I purchased way too early is barely hanging on.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-05-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The one I got, same time and place as jan's,
I kept inside for a while. Now it is in my deck
pond, which is fairly shallow, and it seems to
be very happy and growing. It is the only
one I'm purchasing this year as the filter pool
is shaded all the time now and the hornwort
has taken off and can take over the filtering
job - the stuff is sending up seed stalks!

k :-)

Old 25-05-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

The hyacinth are starting to flower. Here is a pic.

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...?part=2&view=1

That's neat. I had some flower early this year too, but then they
went yellow for some reason. I added fertilizer, but that didn't help
so I switched the water and put about 6" of dirt in the bottom of the
20 gallon pot . I fertilized and now they are growing well, but nice
color and I am waiting till they crowd the pot to overflow along the
sides and mound up in the center. It makes quite a sight. I'll try
to get a picture up this fall when they do what they are gonna do.

Regards,

Hal

Old 25-05-2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

You might do a before and after set of pics. The contrast would be
interesting to see.

Jim

Old 26-05-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:40:51 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

You might do a before and after set of pics. The contrast would be
interesting to see.

I didn't think of that when there were only six plants. Now the pot
is full and they are beginning to hang over the sides with rich green
color. If the weather stays warm they should be mounding soon.
I'll try to get a picture up when they bloom next time.

BTW, The Middle Georgia Koi Society is having our Pond Tour today and
I have one unnamed variety of lotus and a Mrs Perry D Slocum opening
today. It isn't as good as winning the lottery, but I feel almost
compelled to pass out cigars or something.

Regards,

Hal

Old 26-05-2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 26 May 2007 07:35:50 CST, Hal wrote:

BTW, The Middle Georgia Koi Society is having our Pond Tour today and
I have one unnamed variety of lotus and a Mrs Perry D Slocum opening
today. It isn't as good as winning the lottery, but I feel almost
compelled to pass out cigars or something.
Hal

How cool and timely for you. I hope you hook a few into the hobby. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: