Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Silene - bladderwort

On 7/5/07 02:06, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

I'm looking for some general advice on Silene. I think the variety I am
after is Silene vulgaris and I have found one supplier in my country who I
can get it from.

We grow Silene maritima possibly ' Swan Lake' or 'Robin White Breast', if
that's any help. (It was a present to Ray, so he's not sure which it is)
It's a lovely plant, far too much overlooked, IMO. Its white double flowers
are sweetly scented and it trails prettily over the edge of pots, walls and
tubs.

Can anyone tell me the preferences this plant has for aspect, soil
heat/drought, sun/shade tolerance and how they spread (seeds/division) etc
please and anything else that may be of relevance (or indeed any better
forms for a hot dry summer and cold frosty winters). TIA.

Ours has over-wintered here in a pot against a house wall. Ray takes
cuttings from it.
Chiltern Seeds has Silene vulgaris over here and I could easily get some and
send them to you, if that's permitted.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk