Old 07-05-2007, 02:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Silene - bladderwort

I'm looking for some general advice on Silene. I think the variety I am
after is Silene vulgaris and I have found one supplier in my country who I
can get it from.

Can anyone tell me the preferences this plant has for aspect, soil
heat/drought, sun/shade tolerance and how they spread (seeds/division) etc
please and anything else that may be of relevance (or indeed any better
forms for a hot dry summer and cold frosty winters). TIA.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/5/07 02:06, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

I'm looking for some general advice on Silene. I think the variety I am
after is Silene vulgaris and I have found one supplier in my country who I
can get it from.

We grow Silene maritima possibly ' Swan Lake' or 'Robin White Breast', if
that's any help. (It was a present to Ray, so he's not sure which it is)
It's a lovely plant, far too much overlooked, IMO. Its white double flowers
are sweetly scented and it trails prettily over the edge of pots, walls and
tubs.

Can anyone tell me the preferences this plant has for aspect, soil
heat/drought, sun/shade tolerance and how they spread (seeds/division) etc
please and anything else that may be of relevance (or indeed any better
forms for a hot dry summer and cold frosty winters). TIA.

Ours has over-wintered here in a pot against a house wall. Ray takes
cuttings from it.
Chiltern Seeds has Silene vulgaris over here and I could easily get some and
send them to you, if that's permitted.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

[...]

Thanks Sacha. Will do a bit more research and get back to you soonish (I
suddenly find myself up to the armpits in alligaotrs, hence brevity of
response)

Old 08-05-2007, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/5/07 02:12, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:
snip

Thanks Sacha. Will do a bit more research and get back to you soonish (I
suddenly find myself up to the armpits in alligaotrs, hence brevity of
response)

I think I can say with confidence that this is a first for urg!

Silene - bladderwort FarmI Australia 1 09-05-2007 09:49 AM
blogging bladderwort kathy Ponds 0 09-07-2005 06:00 PM