Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default OT : Starling Chick

Space wrote:

We have had a problem the last two days with chicks in the garden. We tried
to rescue two chicks as they wandered around the garden on Saturday. Mum
and dad were flying around frantically trying to look for and then feed the
chicks. Yesterday we came across another chick - it is either one of the
two or it is a third chick.
The starlings roost in our roof - and today I can't hear any activity. I
wonder if because they have lost all their chicks they have moved on
somewhere else.
Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.
But after that.........what can we do?

Nothing. If they can walk around, then they will get somewhere safe, and
should be able to flap around a bit to get a little airborne.
If they are too small to walk, then there is little hope for them,
unless you want to try and raise them yourself - if they are the runts
of the nest, then an older sibling may well have chucked them out of the
nest, to ensure he/she gets enough food.Life sucks, but there is not a
lot you can do about it.
If too small, then a humane thing would be to kill them, without
food/water it will be a day or more for them to die.
Alan.