Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT : Starling Chick

Help needed

We have had a problem the last two days with chicks in the garden. We tried
to rescue two chicks as they wandered around the garden on Saturday. Mum
and dad were flying around frantically trying to look for and then feed the
chicks. Yesterday we came across another chick - it is either one of the
two or it is a third chick.

The starlings roost in our roof - and today I can't hear any activity. I
wonder if because they have lost all their chicks they have moved on
somewhere else.

Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.

But after that.........what can we do?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Space wrote:

We have had a problem the last two days with chicks in the garden. We tried
to rescue two chicks as they wandered around the garden on Saturday. Mum
and dad were flying around frantically trying to look for and then feed the
chicks. Yesterday we came across another chick - it is either one of the
two or it is a third chick.
The starlings roost in our roof - and today I can't hear any activity. I
wonder if because they have lost all their chicks they have moved on
somewhere else.
Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.
But after that.........what can we do?

Nothing. If they can walk around, then they will get somewhere safe, and
should be able to flap around a bit to get a little airborne.
If they are too small to walk, then there is little hope for them,
unless you want to try and raise them yourself - if they are the runts
of the nest, then an older sibling may well have chucked them out of the
nest, to ensure he/she gets enough food.Life sucks, but there is not a
lot you can do about it.
If too small, then a humane thing would be to kill them, without
food/water it will be a day or more for them to die.
Alan.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/5/07 10:34, in article , "Space"
wrote:

Help needed

We have had a problem the last two days with chicks in the garden. We tried
to rescue two chicks as they wandered around the garden on Saturday. Mum
and dad were flying around frantically trying to look for and then feed the
chicks. Yesterday we came across another chick - it is either one of the
two or it is a third chick.

The starlings roost in our roof - and today I can't hear any activity. I
wonder if because they have lost all their chicks they have moved on
somewhere else.

Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.

But after that.........what can we do?

Wait to see if the parents find it and that the previous occupant of the cat
basket doesn't! Then, if after a few hours, nothing has happened, find your
local bird sanctuary, put the chicks in a dark box with air holes in it and
take them there. Ring first to make sure there's someone accepting new
arrivals on a Bank Holiday!
We did this a couple of years ago with a young sparrow which we found under
the church lych gate. No parents in sight and no very close tree from which
it had fallen. We took it to a woman in Totnes who has established a tiny
bird sanctuary in her back garden, gave her a donation and the sparrow and
rang a day or two later. He was still alive, against all the odds and three
weeks later had taken off into the wide blue yonder.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. uk...
wrote:

[...]

All three cats are locked in. There is no sign of mum and dad. When the
chicks were first loose on Saturday the noise from mum and dad was
incredible.

I can't find a bird sanctuary in Liverpool. Previously I've called the RSPB
out for an injured magpie but I can't find the details now.

I've just checked on the chick and he is on his last legs.... poor little
thing. If he was one of the chicks from Saturday he's had a bad time.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space"
wrote:

Help needed

Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.

But after that.........what can we do?

In message , Sacha
writes

Wait to see if the parents find it and that the previous occupant of the cat
basket doesn't! Then, if after a few hours, nothing has happened, find your
local bird sanctuary, put the chicks in a dark box with air holes in it and
take them there. Ring first to make sure there's someone accepting new
arrivals on a Bank Holiday!
We did this a couple of years ago with a young sparrow which we found under
the church lych gate. No parents in sight and no very close tree from which
it had fallen. We took it to a woman in Totnes who has established a tiny
bird sanctuary in her back garden, gave her a donation and the sparrow and
rang a day or two later. He was still alive, against all the odds and three
weeks later had taken off into the wide blue yonder.

We did this with a starling chick once, when the parents didn't want to
know, but for the day before we could get it to the bird sanctuary we
fed it liver-flavoured cat food with tweezers, and that seemed to do the
trick ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 07-05-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/5/07 11:09, in article , "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/5/07 10:34, in article
, "Space"
wrote:

[...]

Yellow pages? RSPCA? Chester Zoo for names and info?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Space
writes
I've just checked on the chick and he is on his last legs.... poor
little thing. If he was one of the chicks from Saturday he's had a bad
time.

Warming it up might do the trick: we found the airing cupboard worked
well.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

I can't find a bird sanctuary in Liverpool. Previously I've called the
RSPB
out for an injured magpie but I can't find the details now.

I've just checked on the chick and he is on his last legs.... poor little
thing. If he was one of the chicks from Saturday he's had a bad time.

Yellow pages? RSPCA? Chester Zoo for names and info?
--

the chick is no more :-(

Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Starling Chick

"Space" wrote in message
Help needed

We have had a problem the last two days with chicks in the garden. We

tried
to rescue two chicks as they wandered around the garden on Saturday. Mum
and dad were flying around frantically trying to look for and then feed

the
chicks. Yesterday we came across another chick - it is either one of the
two or it is a third chick.

The starlings roost in our roof - and today I can't hear any activity. I
wonder if because they have lost all their chicks they have moved on
somewhere else.

Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.

But after that.........what can we do?

advice I was given, when finding a young bird place it in something like an
ice cream container with some straw (or wool or something like) and hang the
container from a clothes line or the like. Somewhere cats can't climb &
where bird is safe. Mum or dad will likely find it through calling etc. From
there nature determines what transpires.

rob

Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message
Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.

But after that.........what can we do?

In the 1960's when I was at a private nursery school in the countryside the
owner hand fed a starling. You won't like this next bit....he purchased
maggots from a fishing shop, popped them in his own mouth, chewed them up
and spat them into a jam jar lid. Then he fed the mixture to the chick using
a matchstick or coctail stick

Old 09-05-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 May 2007 18:02:25 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

In the 1960's when I was at a private nursery school in the countryside the
owner hand fed a starling. You won't like this next bit....he purchased
maggots from a fishing shop, popped them in his own mouth, chewed them up
and spat them into a jam jar lid. Then he fed the mixture to the chick using
a matchstick or coctail stick

Coarse fishermen often warm up maggots in their mouths in cold
weather.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 10-05-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © "°'°-°" wrote:

Coarse fishermen often warm up maggots in their mouths in cold
weather.

But not Refined fishermen, presumably :-)
--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"

Old 10-05-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 May 2007 18:42:41 +0100, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
wrote:

On Wed, 9 May 2007 18:02:25 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

In the 1960's when I was at a private nursery school in the countryside the
owner hand fed a starling. You won't like this next bit....he purchased
maggots from a fishing shop, popped them in his own mouth, chewed them up
and spat them into a jam jar lid. Then he fed the mixture to the chick using
a matchstick or coctail stick

Coarse fishermen often warm up maggots in their mouths in cold
weather.

They are also very pleasant if you put one under the foreskin
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:53:18 +0100, wrote and

wrote:

On Wed, 9 May 2007 18:02:25 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

In the 1960's when I was at a private nursery school in the countryside the
owner hand fed a starling. You won't like this next bit....he purchased
maggots from a fishing shop, popped them in his own mouth, chewed them up
and spat them into a jam jar lid. Then he fed the mixture to the chick using
a matchstick or coctail stick

Coarse fishermen often warm up maggots in their mouths in cold
weather.

They are also very pleasant if you put one under the foreskin

I'll cherish the thought if not the action, thank you.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³