Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space[_2_] Space[_2_] is offline

Default OT : Starling Chick

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/5/07 10:34, in article , "Space"
wrote:

Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.

But after that.........what can we do?

Wait to see if the parents find it and that the previous occupant of the
cat
basket doesn't! Then, if after a few hours, nothing has happened, find
your
local bird sanctuary, put the chicks in a dark box with air holes in it
and
take them there. Ring first to make sure there's someone accepting new
arrivals on a Bank Holiday!
We did this a couple of years ago with a young sparrow which we found
under
the church lych gate. No parents in sight and no very close tree from
which
it had fallen. We took it to a woman in Totnes who has established a tiny
bird sanctuary in her back garden, gave her a donation and the sparrow and
rang a day or two later. He was still alive, against all the odds and
three
weeks later had taken off into the wide blue yonder.
--

All three cats are locked in. There is no sign of mum and dad. When the
chicks were first loose on Saturday the noise from mum and dad was

I can't find a bird sanctuary in Liverpool. Previously I've called the RSPB
out for an injured magpie but I can't find the details now.

I've just checked on the chick and he is on his last legs.... poor little
thing. If he was one of the chicks from Saturday he's had a bad time.