Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default OT : Starling Chick

"Space"
wrote:

Help needed

Meanwhile, this chick is in a cat basket outside in the garden. We have
opened the top and it is moving around.

But after that.........what can we do?

In message , Sacha
writes

Wait to see if the parents find it and that the previous occupant of the cat
basket doesn't! Then, if after a few hours, nothing has happened, find your
local bird sanctuary, put the chicks in a dark box with air holes in it and
take them there. Ring first to make sure there's someone accepting new
arrivals on a Bank Holiday!
We did this a couple of years ago with a young sparrow which we found under
the church lych gate. No parents in sight and no very close tree from which
it had fallen. We took it to a woman in Totnes who has established a tiny
bird sanctuary in her back garden, gave her a donation and the sparrow and
rang a day or two later. He was still alive, against all the odds and three
weeks later had taken off into the wide blue yonder.

We did this with a starling chick once, when the parents didn't want to
know, but for the day before we could get it to the bird sanctuary we
fed it liver-flavoured cat food with tweezers, and that seemed to do the
trick ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin