Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lilah Morgan Lilah Morgan is offline

Default Anyone here gather bamboo shoots?

After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a
couple days and they're few feet tall.

At a garden where I volunteer there is a huge, ancient and spreading
patch of green bamboo, Once a year or so we have to forcibly restrain
it. Even raw, the new young shoots are crunchily delicious. I love
cooked bamboo shoots in Chinese food, so must get the loppers out again
:-)

You guys are making me hungry! We had a bamboo tree but it died :-(