Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Novice onion question

Alan Johnson wrote:
: Hi all,
:
: I'm a bit of a novice in the garden so please excuse if necessary. I
: think I missed onion sets this year - I can't find any in the shops
: round here. Is it too late for onions? If not, what can I plant or
: sow? Something that is not too small and will also keep well through
: the winter would be best?
:
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Regards

No it's not too late if you can buy sets still and I would get whatever you
can. I like stuttgart giant from sets as they are stronger tasting. Bit
late for seed except for salad onions but you can get a fair sized crop off
sets at this time of planting, weather permitting of course