Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Novice onion question

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a novice in the garden so please excuse if necessary. I
think I missed onion sets this year - I can't find any in the shops
round here. Is it too late for onions? If not, what can I plant or sow?
Something that is not too small and will also keep well through the
winter would be best?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
Old 08-05-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Johnson wrote:
: Hi all,
:
: I'm a bit of a novice in the garden so please excuse if necessary. I
: think I missed onion sets this year - I can't find any in the shops
: round here. Is it too late for onions? If not, what can I plant or
: sow? Something that is not too small and will also keep well through
: the winter would be best?
:
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Regards

No it's not too late if you can buy sets still and I would get whatever you
can. I like stuttgart giant from sets as they are stronger tasting. Bit
late for seed except for salad onions but you can get a fair sized crop off
sets at this time of planting, weather permitting of course

Old 08-05-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Johnson" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a novice in the garden so please excuse if necessary. I think
I missed onion sets this year - I can't find any in the shops round here.
Is it too late for onions? If not, what can I plant or sow? Something that
is not too small and will also keep well through the winter would be best?

If you do manage to find some sets, buy more than you need and plant the
rest in seed trays a couple of inches apart. In a few weeks you'll have a
fine crop of spring onions.

Geoff

Old 08-05-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Geoff" wrote ...

"Alan Johnson" wrote
I'm a bit of a novice in the garden so please excuse if necessary. I
think I missed onion sets this year - I can't find any in the shops round
here. Is it too late for onions? If not, what can I plant or sow?
Something that is not too small and will also keep well through the
winter would be best?

If you do manage to find some sets, buy more than you need and plant the
rest in seed trays a couple of inches apart. In a few weeks you'll have a
fine crop of spring onions.

Or you could sow them in trays and grow them on in a greenhouse or similar
to get them to catch up with the outdoor sown ones and then plant them out.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 08-05-2007, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to try looking a bit further
afield and see if I can find some sets. I'll also keep the other
suggestions in mind.

Regards

Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Johnson" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to try looking a bit further
afield and see if I can find some sets. I'll also keep the other
suggestions in mind.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
German-English, Geosciences/Technical
http://geotransblog.blogspot.com/
Terminus Est

You could try plants instead,

http://www.mammothonion.co.uk/shop/10/index.htm

maybe worth a try, have had some from them before.

Anthony

Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 8, 1:01 pm, Alan Johnson wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a novice in the garden so please excuse if necessary. I
think I missed onion sets this year - I can't find any in the shops
round here. Is it too late for onions? If not, what can I plant or sow?
Something that is not too small and will also keep well through the
winter would be best?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson,
German-English, Geosciences/Technicalhttp://geotransblog.blogspot.com/
Terminus Est

try planting spring onion from seed white lisbon in sunny positions
Richard Cook Graftersdiy

Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks again for all the tips. I didn't even know I could plant onions
out. I always thought they were sown as seed or planted as sets and
stayed there until harvested. Ordering plants from the UK is out of the
question for me I'm afraid, as I live in northern Germany. As far as I
know, all I can get delivered from the UK is seeds. I still haven't
found any sets immediately local, but I am going to try a garden centre
a few miles down the road today.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
German-English, Geosciences/Technical
http://geotransblog.blogspot.com/
Terminus Est

Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
Novice with a sod question Mark Darbyshire Gardening 2 06-08-2003 07:32 PM
A novice question Bernie Gardening 2 22-07-2003 06:22 AM
novice orchid question Carol Orchids 3 20-06-2003 05:32 AM