Old 08-05-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Novice onion question

"Geoff" wrote ...

"Alan Johnson" wrote
I'm a bit of a novice in the garden so please excuse if necessary. I
think I missed onion sets this year - I can't find any in the shops round
here. Is it too late for onions? If not, what can I plant or sow?
Something that is not too small and will also keep well through the
winter would be best?

If you do manage to find some sets, buy more than you need and plant the
rest in seed trays a couple of inches apart. In a few weeks you'll have a
fine crop of spring onions.

Or you could sow them in trays and grow them on in a greenhouse or similar
to get them to catch up with the outdoor sown ones and then plant them out.

--
Regards
Bob H