Old 29-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Am I wasting my time?

Thank you Shelly!

Maybe what I wrote accidenrtly to Jim Lewis and not to the group, whould
give you my reasoning for asking the question; so I copy it he

Jim:

I put them out for an hour the first day (full sun) and increase the
time each day over several weeks. We are still experiencing fairly
cold weather 50's to low 60's, so when the sun isn't out, it is too
cold. Maybe I am doing it wrong.... ????? That's why I posed the
question. :-[

Carl

Shelly Hurd wrote:

Carl,
I'm with Jim here. It's the UV you are really getting them used to, and
that comes through loud and clear even on cloudy days.
Best Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Carl asked:

Dear IBC'ers:

At this time of the year, I start trying to acclimate my semi

tropicals

to the brighter light of the out doors. However, there are a

lot of

days when it is cloudy and rainy here in Soiuthern NJ. I

usually keep

the trees in doors during the inclement weather. What are your

thoughts

on whether the time is wasted putting the trees out on the

sunny days.

Is their an accumulation of the brighter light to the leaves

or is it

loss when the trees are left indoors during inclement weather?

"Jim Lewis" wrote:

Unless I'm missing something here, you may be doing this
backwards. If you want to acclimatize your trees to brighter
light and real UV you should have them outside first on the dull
days (still probably brighter than anything they've had inside)
and work them up to full sun.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++