Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Olde Hippee Olde Hippee is offline

Default Draining the pond...........

On Apr 22, 7:08 pm, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in oglegroups.com...

How many koi do you have in the pond?

* In the 2000g pond I started with about 16, maybe 18. I don't remember
anymore as it was years ago. Each year I removed on or two as they grew.
There are now 10, both short-fin and butterfly. The 800+g pond as 3 adult
butterflies and a small koi I kept over.

How is it that your fry do so

well?

* There are loads of plants in both ponds. They fry stay in the plants until
they're about an inch long. Then one day a school of them will be seen
venturing out into open water. The adults completely ignore them! They
soon learn to come out at feeding time for their flakes and/or crushed
pellets. :-)

Ours get eaten...tho I suspect it is the gambusia rather than

the koi that get most of them.

* I have never seen a koi eat a smaller fish. Perhaps if they were
starving...... I would think it's the gambusias.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

I'm betting it is the koi. In the 15 years we've had our pond we had 3
koi babies survive. Either all the eggs are being eaten or the adults
are eating the babies.
Nan