Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Draining the pond...........

"Olde Hippee" wrote in message
ups.com...

brevity snips

I'm betting it is the koi. In the 15 years we've had our pond we had 3
koi babies survive. Either all the eggs are being eaten or the adults
are eating the babies.
Nan

======================================
That's pretty amazing since every fall our ponds are crawling with koi fry.
We have no choice but to drain them down to catch and remove all these
little guys each spring. Mine seem to ignore the eggs in the plants after
spawning and as I said I have never seen one eat any babies. If a fry gets
sucked in with the pellets, the fry comes out but the pellets are swallowed.
Yet the koi will eat worms and grubs from the compost and garden. Most fry
stay away from the adults and stick close to the plants.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.