Old 09-05-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wane Smooth Wane Smooth is offline

Default Wormery

On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:18:43 GMT, fox66 wrote:

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wormery. I am either going
to buy one or better still make one. Instructions on how to make one would
be great.

Paul

Hi Paul,got this at
http://www.wakeuptowaste.org/index/e..._a_wormery.htm

Activity ¡V Build a Wormery
You will need

A wooden, plastic or glass box (an old aquarium perhaps) with a lid
Old newspapers
Vegetable/fruit waste
Garden trowel
Moss
Worms (preferably tiger worms available from fishing tackle shops)
What to Do

In the bottom of the container create bedding for the worms by shredding
the newspapers and mixing them with a small amount of moss
Worms need water so add enough to make the bedding feel like a wet sponge
Now add the fruit/vegetable Waste (a little crushed eggshell can be added
to give your worms Calcium)
Cover the Waste with more bedding material
Now add your worms
It will take approximately 3 months before your compost can be harvested
When you want to harvest your compost shine a torch onto the wormery. This
makes the worms wriggle down to the bottom
Take out the compost and use it in pots, tubs and garden plots to make your
school environment a better, more beautiful place rich in wildlife
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto