Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wormery

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wormery. I am either going
to buy one or better still make one. Instructions on how to make one would
be great.

Paul

Old 09-05-2007, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

fox66 wrote:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wormery. I am either going
to buy one or better still make one. Instructions on how to make one would
be great.

My compost heap did it without me trying. I turn it over every couple of
months, and it is crawling with worms just an inch or so below the
surface.
Try these sites:
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/wormeries.htm

http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co...Heap/DIYwormer
y.asp

http://www.recyclezone.org.uk/az_worms.aspx

Alan.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:18:43 GMT, fox66 wrote:

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wormery. I am either going
to buy one or better still make one. Instructions on how to make one would
be great.

Paul

Hi Paul,got this at
http://www.wakeuptowaste.org/index/e..._a_wormery.htm

Activity ¡V Build a Wormery
You will need

A wooden, plastic or glass box (an old aquarium perhaps) with a lid
Old newspapers
Vegetable/fruit waste
Garden trowel
Moss
Worms (preferably tiger worms available from fishing tackle shops)
What to Do

In the bottom of the container create bedding for the worms by shredding
the newspapers and mixing them with a small amount of moss
Worms need water so add enough to make the bedding feel like a wet sponge
Now add the fruit/vegetable Waste (a little crushed eggshell can be added
to give your worms Calcium)
Cover the Waste with more bedding material
Now add your worms
It will take approximately 3 months before your compost can be harvested
When you want to harvest your compost shine a torch onto the wormery. This
makes the worms wriggle down to the bottom
Take out the compost and use it in pots, tubs and garden plots to make your
school environment a better, more beautiful place rich in wildlife
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fox66" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wormery. I am either
going to buy one or better still make one. Instructions on how to make one
would be great.

Paul

Wormeries are good fun but that's about it. Do not expect to produce vast
quantities of anything useful.
The last stages of composting usually involve the invasion of worms and
other bugs and insects.
I do have a small wormery reserved entirely for horrid weeds, seeds and
anything that the experts say should not be composted.
Final point do not buy worms -just chuck in any small red worms from a
compost heap and they will reproduce very fast.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 May 2007 22:55:46 +0100, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

"fox66" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wormery. I am either
going to buy one or better still make one. Instructions on how to make one
would be great.

Paul

Wormeries are good fun but that's about it. Do not expect to produce vast
quantities of anything useful.
The last stages of composting usually involve the invasion of worms and
other bugs and insects.
I do have a small wormery reserved entirely for horrid weeds, seeds and
anything that the experts say should not be composted.
Final point do not buy worms -just chuck in any small red worms from a
compost heap and they will reproduce very fast.

I disagree with the final point - yes you can use the small redworms
but I think you should buy a particular sort of worm : dendras which
you can buy online or from a fishing tackle shop which do a much
better job.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wormery. I am either going
to buy one or better still make one. Instructions on how to make one would
be great.

I have two in use, both made from plastic barrels ( spice barrels, no
less ) bought from the local tip for a couple of quid a pop.
An old water butt will suffice, but as these tend to be rather thin
walled you might find it beneficial to wrap some insulation around the
outside. Bubble wrap will do.

You need a ring of holes around the top of the barrel for ventilation,
and a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage. It helps to place
the bin on a stand so that you can collect the drainage - diluted it
makes an excellent foliar feed.

You need worms - and these are brandling worms. You can buy these - or
you can grab a sheet of cardboard, find a bare patch in the garden and
sprinkle it with vegetable waste then place the cardboard over it and
lightly weigh it down. Give it a few weeks before lifting it and the
small ( about 2-3 inches long ) red worms you'll see are just what you
need. Pick 'em up and put them in the bin. Repeat as necessary.

To prepare the bin I put a layer of sticks in the base followed by a
layer of cardboard, followed by a thin layer of soil mixed with soft
vegetable matter.

When full, these bins are rather heavy - so you might want to opt for
a smaller bin if you can't find anything substantial.
It's a slow process - and the resultant compost is extremely
rich...better suited for making potting compost or for spot feeding
than for general use.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"fox66" wrote in message
[...]

I thought that the small red worms which wiggle a lot were the right sort
for vermiculture. I find loads of these in the normal compost heap.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"judith" wrote in message
.. .
I disagree with the final point - yes you can use the small redworms
but I think you should buy a particular sort of worm : dendras which
you can buy online or from a fishing tackle shop which do a much
better job.

I thought that the small red worms which wiggle a lot were the right sort
for vermiculture. I find loads of these in the normal compost heap.

"Dendras" are short for Dendrobaena veneta. They, along with Eisenia
(tiger worm or brandling) are native UK worms living in high humus
conditions, so as Rupert says, use the ones you find in your compost
heap, don't waste money buying.

--
Kay

Composter/Wormery anthony james United Kingdom 0 26-01-2004 11:19 PM
Wormery from tyres? picti United Kingdom 1 10-05-2003 04:20 PM
how to make a wormery teapot United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 08:30 PM
Wormery Pauline Jones United Kingdom 6 13-11-2002 11:09 PM
Any Wormery recs? Jaffacake United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 07:59 PM