Old 29-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Warren

Default Starting a lawn in Tennessee - HELP!

Phisherman wrote:
Concentrate on killing the weeds right now. If you seed, the summer
heat/drought will kill the seedlings. Look for Rebel Supreme grass
seed (Home Depot)--it is excellent for Tennessee. Overseed in the
fall and apply a starter fertilizer at that time. Use straw to
protect the seed from drying out and the birds. Late September to
October is about the right time to seed. If you have crabgrass, apply
preemergence in 2004 spring.

Let me add that if your soil is not very good, this summer would also be
a good time to spread some composted steer manure over surface. By fall
the worms should have a good start at pulling it down, and you should
have a nice loamy surface to sow your seeds into.

Yeah, it does seem counter-intuitive to plant in fall, Phisherman is
absolutely right that the summer heat will be hell on young seedlings.
Grass planted in early fall has time to germinate, and then build a good
root system before the heat of next summer. You'll save a lot of money,
too, with Mother Nature providing most of the watering for the young
lawn.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.