Old 28-03-2003, 07:56 PM
GarciaGM

Default Starting a lawn in Tennessee - HELP!

My husband and I bought a house in November that had been on the
market for a while. What little grass had grown was mostly brown and
very thin, with lots of patchy weeds. Now that it's Spring, we would
like to start a REAL lawn. We are in a transition area (vs. cool or
warm grass area). Does anyone have any suggestions for overseeding
the grass we already have and ensuring a cold- and drought-hardy lawn?
I've seen other houses in our neighborhood that have beautiful green
lawns all winter long, and I would like to know how to accomplish it.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!

Michelle Garcia

Old 28-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Phisherman

Concentrate on killing the weeds right now. If you seed, the summer
heat/drought will kill the seedlings. Look for Rebel Supreme grass
seed (Home Depot)--it is excellent for Tennessee. Overseed in the
fall and apply a starter fertilizer at that time. Use straw to
protect the seed from drying out and the birds. Late September to
October is about the right time to seed. If you have crabgrass, apply
preemergence in 2004 spring.

Old 29-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Warren

Phisherman wrote:
Concentrate on killing the weeds right now. If you seed, the summer
heat/drought will kill the seedlings. Look for Rebel Supreme grass
seed (Home Depot)--it is excellent for Tennessee. Overseed in the
fall and apply a starter fertilizer at that time. Use straw to
protect the seed from drying out and the birds. Late September to
October is about the right time to seed. If you have crabgrass, apply
preemergence in 2004 spring.

Let me add that if your soil is not very good, this summer would also be
a good time to spread some composted steer manure over surface. By fall
the worms should have a good start at pulling it down, and you should
have a nice loamy surface to sow your seeds into.

Yeah, it does seem counter-intuitive to plant in fall, Phisherman is
absolutely right that the summer heat will be hell on young seedlings.
Grass planted in early fall has time to germinate, and then build a good
root system before the heat of next summer. You'll save a lot of money,
too, with Mother Nature providing most of the watering for the young
lawn.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

[IMG] code is On

Yellow Roses Tennessee Randy Roses 5 24-08-2004 07:02 PM
University of Tennessee Amateur Science Survey Amateur Science Survey Plant Science 0 02-10-2003 04:12 PM
Looking for fellow aquarists in Eastern Tennessee.... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
Spring in Tennessee Table Roses 1 24-02-2003 01:04 PM
Looking for fellow aquarists in Eastern Tennessee.... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 17-02-2003 04:38 PM