Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default ascada question

Yep, it's pretty normal. I've seen it in plants grown really well, and
those that I've done my best to kill - I supposed it's a survival thing in
that case.

I would guess that genetics can affect the likelihood of it occurring, as
there are some ascocentrums that form clusters really quickly. FWIW, my
50th State Beauty did the same thing. With time the growth was big enough
and had its own root system, which allowed me to separate it.

"eeyore" wrote in message
The earlier vanda question prompts me to ask this. My ascada "Fiftieth
State Beauty" has developed a side stalk off of the main. Would have
thought it was a keiki, but no roots so can't see how I could separate it.
Is this normal behavior? Don't know if I really know anything about
orchids, but having loads of fun exploring and hopefully learning.
Thanks.