Old 10-05-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default ascada question

The earlier vanda question prompts me to ask this. My ascada "Fiftieth
State Beauty" has developed a side stalk off of the main. Would have
thought it was a keiki, but no roots so can't see how I could separate it.
Is this normal behavior? Don't know if I really know anything about
orchids, but having loads of fun exploring and hopefully learning. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Good growing! Yes, these send side growths. Phals do too. I suppose that
its a feature of monopodial orchids but can't cite a source for that
opinion. I, too, don't know the real name for them. I call them 'pups'.

K Barrett

Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Eeyo The behavior is normal to some extent, but you should take a good
look at the crown of your Ascocenda Fiftieth State 'Beauty' [I think your
label may be incomplete]. Healthy plants do make offshoots as you describe,
but it's especially likely to happen if the primary growing point is in
trouble.

Either way, leave the sideshoot alone. There's no need to ever remove it,
unless you just want to, and if you do want to, you need to wait for those
roots to grow (sooner or later, they will, but it could be quite a while).
Kenni

Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yep, it's pretty normal. I've seen it in plants grown really well, and
those that I've done my best to kill - I supposed it's a survival thing in
that case.

I would guess that genetics can affect the likelihood of it occurring, as
there are some ascocentrums that form clusters really quickly. FWIW, my
50th State Beauty did the same thing. With time the growth was big enough
and had its own root system, which allowed me to separate it.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Happy to know I'm doing the right thing. Now if someone could tell me where
to stash my next set of orchids in this tiny living room. Glad it is summer
so I can make use of the balcony. Thanks all for your help and have a good
day!

Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"eeyore" wrote in message
Happy to know I'm doing the right thing. Now if someone could tell me
where to stash my next set of orchids in this tiny living room. Glad it
is summer so I can make use of the balcony. Thanks all for your help and
have a good day!

Uh oh! Time to get a larger apartment or a greenhouse. ;0)