Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Gardening newbie needs daffodil help

On 10 May 2007 13:49:21 -0700, writer272002 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner in Atlanta and new to this whole gardening thing.
When clearing my back yard last weekend, I came across several clumps
of daffodils. I dug up the bulbs, and would like to replant them in my
front yard. I'm just not sure if I should replant the bulbs NOW or
wait until fall -- and if I wait until fall, what should I do with the
bulbs until then? They're currently under my deck out of the direct
sunlight.

Ooops... if you want to move a bulb that's still in leaf, I would have
suggested digging their new home first, then lifting the entire clump and
moving them directly to the new hole, then filling and keeping things
watered (generally, bulbs don't like soggy soil, but they do like
moderately moist). With luck, you won't disturb them so much that they
dry off their leaves without making reserve photosynthate for next season.

Since you've already dug them, I'd transplant ASAP, and do a little coddling
for awhile. Don't expect much in the way of flowering next spring, but maybe
the spring after.

Kay