Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening newbie needs daffodil help

Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner in Atlanta and new to this whole gardening thing.
When clearing my back yard last weekend, I came across several clumps
of daffodils. I dug up the bulbs, and would like to replant them in my
front yard. I'm just not sure if I should replant the bulbs NOW or
wait until fall -- and if I wait until fall, what should I do with the
bulbs until then? They're currently under my deck out of the direct
sunlight.

Thanks for your help.
Ashley

Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"writer272002" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner in Atlanta and new to this whole gardening thing.
When clearing my back yard last weekend, I came across several clumps
of daffodils. I dug up the bulbs, and would like to replant them in my
front yard. I'm just not sure if I should replant the bulbs NOW or
wait until fall -- and if I wait until fall, what should I do with the
bulbs until then? They're currently under my deck out of the direct
sunlight.

You should have left them in the ground until the leaves turned brown
and then transplanted them.

Ask before action.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 10, 4:57 pm, "Travis M." wrote:
"writer272002" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner in Atlanta and new to this whole gardening thing.
When clearing my back yard last weekend, I came across several clumps
of daffodils. I dug up the bulbs, and would like to replant them in my
front yard. I'm just not sure if I should replant the bulbs NOW or
wait until fall -- and if I wait until fall, what should I do with the
bulbs until then? They're currently under my deck out of the direct
sunlight.

You should have left them in the ground until the leaves turned brown
and then transplanted them.

Ask before action.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Hm. So does that mean it's too late to salvage them now?
(Yes, I should have asked. I'm sorry.)

Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"writer272002" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No, heel them in somewhere and keep them watered until the tops turn brown.
Then move them to their permanent spot in the fall. Heeling in means
digging a shallow trench, put the bulbs and roots in it and cover them with
soil, water well. Leave the tops in the sun. It may take them a year or so
to recover and bloom again, i.e., they may skip blooming next spring.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Great! Thank you.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10 May 2007 13:49:21 -0700, writer272002 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner in Atlanta and new to this whole gardening thing.
When clearing my back yard last weekend, I came across several clumps
of daffodils. I dug up the bulbs, and would like to replant them in my
front yard. I'm just not sure if I should replant the bulbs NOW or
wait until fall -- and if I wait until fall, what should I do with the
bulbs until then? They're currently under my deck out of the direct
sunlight.

Ooops... if you want to move a bulb that's still in leaf, I would have
suggested digging their new home first, then lifting the entire clump and
moving them directly to the new hole, then filling and keeping things
watered (generally, bulbs don't like soggy soil, but they do like
moderately moist). With luck, you won't disturb them so much that they
dry off their leaves without making reserve photosynthate for next season.

Since you've already dug them, I'd transplant ASAP, and do a little coddling
for awhile. Don't expect much in the way of flowering next spring, but maybe
the spring after.

Kay

Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 May 2007 02:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

Since you've already dug them, I'd transplant ASAP, and do a little coddling
for awhile. Don't expect much in the way of flowering next spring, but maybe
the spring after.

Kay

And when you transplant, make _sure_ that's where you want them to be.
You will never get rid of them once they've settled in. I'd be
surprised if they don't show up again where you originally found them,
as well.

I have a patch from our house's previous owners that's in a really bad
place. Dug up five pounds of bulbs and gave them away.

They were back again the next year.

--Nan