Old 11-05-2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Replace Lawn

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of putting
on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I have to remove
the old grass underneath it first ?

Yep, weeds and such will creep up the 1" of soil seeking sunlight. A burial
of 4" or more inches of soil may work. But, not 100% effective.

Consider getting rid of the current weeds first. Rake out the bare spots.
Then, put some topsoil or verified good sandy loam on top. If lightly done,
the former grass will break through. At least St. Augustine and Bermuda do
in my experiences.
Dave