Old 11-05-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Replace Lawn

My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of putting
on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I have to remove
the old grass underneath it first ?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Andy Petro" wrote in news:4643985e$0$16307
:

My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of putting
on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I have to remove
the old grass underneath it first ?

First of all, do it in September, not now.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of
putting on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I have
to remove the old grass underneath it first ?

I would correct the problems you have before wasting money on new sod.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 11-05-2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of putting
on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I have to remove
the old grass underneath it first ?

Yep, weeds and such will creep up the 1" of soil seeking sunlight. A burial
of 4" or more inches of soil may work. But, not 100% effective.

Consider getting rid of the current weeds first. Rake out the bare spots.
Then, put some topsoil or verified good sandy loam on top. If lightly done,
the former grass will break through. At least St. Augustine and Bermuda do
in my experiences.
Dave

Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:03:21 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:
My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of putting
on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I have to remove
the old grass underneath it first ?

Don't do anything until you've figured out why your lawn is full of weeds and
bare soil. Compaction? Fertility? Shade? Watering? Poor selection of
species? Too much foot traffic? Bad mowing?

Fix the problem(s) first.

Kay

Old 27-05-2007, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
.. .
My front lawn is full of weeds and blank areas. I am thinking of
putting on some top soil, about one inch, and then new sod. Do I
have to remove the old grass underneath it first ?

When was the last time you fertilized?

Bob