Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paddy Paddy is offline

Default Sheen x300 & Fuel

"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Paddy" wrote in message
Anybody have any advice about one of these. Using one for quite large
areas of weeds. I am running it on kerosene (heating oil) as I cannot
purchase paraffin locally. Runs ok most of the time but has periods of
blowing out and I find the pressure & valve settings a little critical.
Would this be because of the wrong fuel or because it needs a new jet,
all the seals seem fine.

I have one but don't use it much. When I do I run it on diesel for the
same reason. I found it works better with about 10% petrol added. Do you
have the pricker to clear the jet? If not a fine piece of wire will do the
job. I run mine pumped up as much as I dare with the valve full on.

Its fun re-lighting them when thy go out isn't it.

Mike

You are not kidding it's fun. I have used just under 3 gallon of kerosene
this afternoon and am now aching. I reckon it will take about another 4
gallon to finish off and then providing the weather hold will have to go
round again to burn away the residue. Just don't fancy the idea of mixing
petrol with the kerosene though, maybe get the wife to try it.

To answer Dave about the paraffin. It's the problem of getting it home due
to boats and regulations with dangerous goods. The heating oil kerosene
comes in a 1200 litre tank so that and diesel are always available.

I have read advice on the use of the burner with some saying just wilt the
leaves and then burn away after a few days and others saying burn the base
of the plants and that kills them off better. I have done a couple of areas
each way to see what happens, just hope I can remember which is which patch.

Paddy