Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sheen x300 & Fuel

Anybody have any advice about one of these. Using one for quite large areas
of weeds. I am running it on kerosene (heating oil) as I cannot purchase
paraffin locally. Runs ok most of the time but has periods of blowing out
and I find the pressure & valve settings a little critical. Would this be
because of the wrong fuel or because it needs a new jet, all the seals seem
fine.

Paddy

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:09:59 GMT, Paddy wrote:

I am running it on kerosene (heating oil) as I cannot purchase paraffin
locally.

Assuming your heating oil is 28sec heating oil not 35sec (gas oil, diesel)
the it's as near as damn it paraffin. I'm surprised you can't get
paraffin, most of the DIY sheds and garden centres carry it for greenhouse
heaters. At a price though nearer £1/l compared to 30p/l for bulk heating
oil.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 11-05-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paddy" wrote in message
Anybody have any advice about one of these. Using one for quite large
areas of weeds. I am running it on kerosene (heating oil) as I cannot
purchase paraffin locally. Runs ok most of the time but has periods of
blowing out and I find the pressure & valve settings a little critical.
Would this be because of the wrong fuel or because it needs a new jet, all
the seals seem fine.

I have one but don't use it much. When I do I run it on diesel for the same
reason. I found it works better with about 10% petrol added. Do you have the
pricker to clear the jet? If not a fine piece of wire will do the job. I run
mine pumped up as much as I dare with the valve full on.

Its fun re-lighting them when thy go out isn't it.

Mike

Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Paddy" wrote in message
Anybody have any advice about one of these. Using one for quite large
areas of weeds. I am running it on kerosene (heating oil) as I cannot
purchase paraffin locally. Runs ok most of the time but has periods of
blowing out and I find the pressure & valve settings a little critical.
Would this be because of the wrong fuel or because it needs a new jet,
all the seals seem fine.

I have one but don't use it much. When I do I run it on diesel for the
same reason. I found it works better with about 10% petrol added. Do you
have the pricker to clear the jet? If not a fine piece of wire will do the
job. I run mine pumped up as much as I dare with the valve full on.

Its fun re-lighting them when thy go out isn't it.

Mike

You are not kidding it's fun. I have used just under 3 gallon of kerosene
this afternoon and am now aching. I reckon it will take about another 4
gallon to finish off and then providing the weather hold will have to go
round again to burn away the residue. Just don't fancy the idea of mixing
petrol with the kerosene though, maybe get the wife to try it.

To answer Dave about the paraffin. It's the problem of getting it home due
to boats and regulations with dangerous goods. The heating oil kerosene
comes in a 1200 litre tank so that and diesel are always available.

I have read advice on the use of the burner with some saying just wilt the
leaves and then burn away after a few days and others saying burn the base
of the plants and that kills them off better. I have done a couple of areas
each way to see what happens, just hope I can remember which is which patch.

Paddy

Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:00:55 GMT, Paddy wrote:

Just don't fancy the idea of mixing petrol with the kerosene though,
maybe get the wife to try it.

Why not? Petrol is volatile but not that dangerous provided there is no
source of ignition. They two aren't going to react with each other.

To answer Dave about the paraffin. It's the problem of getting it home
due to boats and regulations with dangerous goods.

Ah you have nothing obvious that says you live on an island and use public
ferries. Surprised that an island small enough not to have a purveyour of
parrafin has NTL cable internet though...

I have read advice on the use of the burner with some saying just wilt
the leaves and then burn away after a few days and others saying burn
the base of the plants and that kills them off better.

You just need to run the heat over the plants, you don't need to burn them
as such. The heat destroys the cell structure to such an extent they can't
recover, nature does the rest. We have a small gas burner, does an
excellent job, they turn brown in a day or three. Keeps the weeds in the
french drains at bay very easily and between the stones on the "patio".

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:00:55 GMT, Paddy wrote:

You just need to run the heat over the plants, you don't need to burn them
as such. The heat destroys the cell structure to such an extent they can't
recover, nature does the rest. We have a small gas burner, does an
excellent job, they turn brown in a day or three. Keeps the weeds in the
french drains at bay very easily and between the stones on the "patio".

For small areas I find that an electrical paint stripping blower strapped to
a broom handle does a very good job.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 May 2007 06:27:38 +0100, Cerumen wrote:

For small areas I find that an electrical paint stripping blower
strapped to a broom handle does a very good job.

I like that idea, I might give it a try. The heat cone from the little gas
jobbie is a bit small but it is very easy to move about, no trailing
cable...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 15-05-2007, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Paddy
writes
You are not kidding it's fun. I have used just under 3 gallon of kerosene
this afternoon and am now aching. I reckon it will take about another 4
gallon to finish off

I thought the idea was to just scorch the leaves and make them wither
then go round d gain in about a week to burn off the by then dead and
crisp foliage?
I found that easier and more effective than trying to actually burn the
plants away on the first go.
It's incredibly easy to weed paths with it and also in between paving
slabs and it clears up moss as well specially or d our pond, without
leaving any residue to harm the fish.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph