Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pop Larkin Pop Larkin is offline

Default Water Butt

"Bazjaq" wrote in message

"Pop Larkin" wrote in message

"Pop Larkin" wrote in message
news

"Bazjaq" wrote in message
news Has anyone bought one of the 'flatpack' 200ltr butts that were
advertised on Price Drop TV? My neighbour did and it leaks from were
the liner connects to the tap. He couldn't be bothered returning it
(more money than sense) so I have it now for free.
I have tried using external mastic around the connection but it still
loses all the water down to the tap.
Any ideas/solution would be welcome.

Thakyou

Tom

assuming the tap is not right at the bottom and that the thread on the
tap is approx 20mm.

make up 2 large plastic or aluminium washers with one 20mm dia clearance
hole in middle to accept the tap thread. Drill 6 equispaced holes around
the discs (clamp them together to do this) but not close to the outside
diameter or central hole. Leave say at least 15mm to 20mm between. Place
one washer inside and one outside the liner lining up the 20mm holes.
Line up the six holes and cut through the liner holes. Clean and dry all
parts and apply stop cock grease (a really tacky silicone compound) on
all mating faces and bolt the discs up trapping the liner between. Now
put your tap through the centre hole applying yet more stop cock
grease..........leave it a while before filling.

sorry the OD of washers wants to be about 60mm/70mm........

Pop,

I think this could be the answer, I will look out some materials this
week.
I googled 'stop cock grease' and got lots of info but not where to buy it,
would B & Q supply it?
Also could I use small rivets to 'bolt' the discs together?

Thankyou for your time

Tom

B&Q may have it otherwise a good plumbers merchant. I find those oldy worldy
high street hardware shops, unfortunately now in decline, better for this
type of diy material.

I would stick to nuts & bolts. Then if there is a leaky bit they can always
be nipped up further.

dj