Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Butt

Has anyone bought one of the 'flatpack' 200ltr butts that were advertised on
Price Drop TV? My neighbour did and it leaks from were the liner connects to
the tap. He couldn't be bothered returning it (more money than sense) so I
have it now for free.
I have tried using external mastic around the connection but it still loses
all the water down to the tap.
Any ideas/solution would be welcome.

Thakyou

Tom

Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bazjaq" wrote in message
news
Has anyone bought one of the 'flatpack' 200ltr butts that were advertised
on Price Drop TV? My neighbour did and it leaks from were the liner
connects to the tap. He couldn't be bothered returning it (more money than
sense) so I have it now for free.
I have tried using external mastic around the connection but it still
loses all the water down to the tap.
Any ideas/solution would be welcome.

Thakyou

Tom

assuming the tap is not right at the bottom and that the thread on the tap
is approx 20mm.

make up 2 large plastic or aluminium washers with one 20mm dia clearance
hole in middle to accept the tap thread. Drill 6 equispaced holes around the
discs (clamp them together to do this) but not close to the outside diameter
or central hole. Leave say at least 15mm to 20mm between. Place one washer
inside and one outside the liner lining up the 20mm holes. Line up the six
holes and cut through the liner holes. Clean and dry all parts and apply
stop cock grease (a really tacky silicone compound) on all mating faces and
bolt the discs up trapping the liner between. Now put your tap through the
centre hole applying yet more stop cock grease..........leave it a while
before filling.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pop Larkin" wrote in message
news

"Bazjaq" wrote in message
news
[...]

sorry the OD of washers wants to be about 60mm/70mm........

Old 11-05-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bazjaq" wrote in message
news
Has anyone bought one of the 'flatpack' 200ltr butts that were advertised
on Price Drop TV? My neighbour did and it leaks from were the liner
connects to the tap. He couldn't be bothered returning it (more money than
sense) so I have it now for free.
I have tried using external mastic around the connection but it still
loses all the water down to the tap.
Any ideas/solution would be welcome.

Thakyou

Tom

Can you remove the tap? Ideally I'd want to unscrew it, wrap PTFE tape round
the threads and refit the tap. Or use silicone sealer, but again you'd need
to be able to remove the tap for best results.

Steve

Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Bazjaq" wrote:

Has anyone bought one of the 'flatpack' 200ltr butts that were advertised on
Price Drop TV? My neighbour did and it leaks from were the liner connects to
the tap. He couldn't be bothered returning it (more money than sense) so I
have it now for free.
I have tried using external mastic around the connection but it still loses
all the water down to the tap.
Any ideas/solution would be welcome.

Thakyou

Tom

I use Northumbrian water and pay 75p/cubic metre for it. The price of
one of these plastic containers would pay for a lot of water.

Michael Bell

Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pop Larkin" wrote in message

"Pop Larkin" wrote in message
news

"Bazjaq" wrote in message
news
[...]

Pop,

I think this could be the answer, I will look out some materials this week.
I googled 'stop cock grease' and got lots of info but not where to buy it,
would B & Q supply it?
Also could I use small rivets to 'bolt' the discs together?

Thankyou for your time

Tom

Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bazjaq" wrote in message

"Pop Larkin" wrote in message

"Pop Larkin" wrote in message
news

"Bazjaq" wrote in message
news Has anyone bought one of the 'flatpack' 200ltr butts that were
[...]

B&Q may have it otherwise a good plumbers merchant. I find those oldy worldy
high street hardware shops, unfortunately now in decline, better for this
type of diy material.

I would stick to nuts & bolts. Then if there is a leaky bit they can always
be nipped up further.

dj

Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bazjaq
wrote

(more money than sense)

These types of shopping channels only sell goods of a quality that can
be found cheaper elsewhere. They then add a high postage charge and the
cost of the phone call to order is £1.50 for 20 seconds.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 13-05-2007, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Bazjaq
wrote

(more money than sense)

These types of shopping channels only sell goods of a quality that can be
found cheaper elsewhere. They then add a high postage charge and the cost
of the phone call to order is £1.50 for 20 seconds.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

I must admit I have watched those progs and it time the hammer was brought
down on them.............they sell an items for £3.50 and say LOOK WHAT
YOU'RE GETTING FOR UNDER A FIVER.............yet look at the top of the
screen and it says £7.99 delivery and £1.50 for the phone order.............

come on OFWAT of whatever its called.

Old 21-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazjaq View Post
Has anyone bought one of the 'flatpack' 200ltr butts that were advertised on
Price Drop TV? My neighbour did and it leaks from were the liner connects to
the tap. He couldn't be bothered returning it (more money than sense) so I
have it now for free.
I have tried using external mastic around the connection but it still loses
all the water down to the tap.
Any ideas/solution would be welcome.

Thakyou

Tom
Hi there i know you message is a little old now but hope this helps. If it is the type im thinking of you can buy new liners for them just surch on google or what ever for flat pack water butt. I replaced mine a few years back have a feeling it cost me about £15 so prob gone up a little now.
hope this of use to you

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking? AL_n United Kingdom 73 11-03-2012 11:00 AM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water butt beastie Brian Watson Ponds 12 03-07-2003 11:32 PM
Water Butt Repair? Drakanthus United Kingdom 7 07-05-2003 01:44 AM
Algae in water butt Mary Fisher United Kingdom 11 25-03-2003 05:56 AM