Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Basic Knives

On May 12, 2:30 am, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
In article 5Kb1i.86$145.55@trnddc02,
says...

wrote in message
.. .
I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

All that to spam the group?

No, nothing with spam.

I mean like a list - one particular knife for getting things from
the garden (serrated?), and another for the main chopping, and so
forth.

Maybe three or four different styles for different purposes.

I was thinking about it, because today at the supermarket, I saw
two different sizes, with sharpening holders.

Serrated knives best for slicing things like tomatos and bread.
My favorite kitchen knife is a boning knife but if you are out cutting
stuff from the ground, use an el-cheapo knife because it will dull
fast.
A good sharpener is a must and don't buy the cheap knives with
sharpener or one of those chincy little shaperners that won't last
long.

Frank