Old 12-05-2007, 04:31 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

Default Basic Knives

I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

wrote in message
I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.xxxxxxxxxx.com/
Credit Tools, Reference, and Forum

All that to spam the group?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

On May 12, 2:30 am, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
In article 5Kb1i.86$145.55@trnddc02,
says...

wrote in message
.. .
I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

All that to spam the group?

No, nothing with spam.

I mean like a list - one particular knife for getting things from
the garden (serrated?), and another for the main chopping, and so
forth.

Maybe three or four different styles for different purposes.

I was thinking about it, because today at the supermarket, I saw
two different sizes, with sharpening holders.

Serrated knives best for slicing things like tomatos and bread.
My favorite kitchen knife is a boning knife but if you are out cutting
stuff from the ground, use an el-cheapo knife because it will dull
fast.
A good sharpener is a must and don't buy the cheap knives with
sharpener or one of those chincy little shaperners that won't last
long.

Frank

Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

wrote in message
I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Credit Tools, Reference, and Forum

The New York Times on May 9th carried an article about outfitting a kitchen
with the least fancy equipment possible: "A No-Frills Kitchen Still Cooks"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/di...a21c&e i=5070.

In case you can't get to that link, here's what he has to say about knives
(he suggests purchasing materials at a restaurant supply store):

"I started with an eight-inch, plastic-handle stainless alloy chef's knife
for $10. This is probably the most essential tool in the kitchen. People not
only obsess about knives (and write entire articles about them), but you can
easily spend over $100 on just one. Yet go into any restaurant kitchen and
you will see most of the cooks using this same plastic-handle Dexter-Russell
tool. (Go to the wrong store and you'll spend $20 or even $30 on the same
knife.)

"At $3, a paring knife was so cheap I could replace it every year or two. I
splurged on a Japanese mandoline for $25. (It's not indispensable, but since
my knife skills are pathetic, I use mine whenever I want thin, even slices
or a real julienne.)
"And, finally, something with which to keep those knives sharp. A whetstone
costs about $6, and if you use it, it will work fine; a decent steel is
expensive enough that you may as well graduate to an electric sharpener.
Though sharpeners take up counter space and cost at least $30, they work
well."

helco

Old 12-05-2007, 02:27 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

On May 11, 11:31 pm, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Duehttp://www.cardreport.com/
Credit Tools, Reference, and Forum

I have been a professional sharpener full time for 20 years.
You can get quite good service out of your basic Chicago Cutlery
knives, the steel is very good.
The paring knives made by tramontina and sold in the Ace hardware
stores are also very good- but look for older stock as they recently
cheapened the handles to keep the price down when they sell them for a
dollar.
In the Sprawl-Marts are paring knives with cast aluminum handles that
also retain an edge very well.

For sharpening I suggest 2 approaches, a diamond stone by either ez
lap or DMT
Or the cheaper route of rubber cementing a strip of wet or dry type
sandpaper to a wooden paint stirrer.
220 grit is a good start, 400 is sufficient for a finish.

Plenty of good cutlery is for sale in any yard sale or flea market.
For the garden buy something stainless and leave it in the garden.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

wrote in message
In article 5Kb1i.86$145.55@trnddc02,
lid says...
wrote in message
[...]

So whats with the spam in your sig and the lame "From name"?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

In article ,
Usenet2007 @ THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

Three things: 1. Get a good chef's knife. I reccomend the Forschner
Victorinox 8" chef's knife. It's got a razor-sharp, wide blade and a soft,
raised handle so you won't rap your knuckles when you're chopping. And it
costs around $25. I use mine consantly for slicing and chopping, have had it
about 9 months and haven't sharpened it yet;

2. Get a good boning knife, maybe a 6" from Chicago Cutlery. If you do
anything with chicken, beef or pork, you'll use it for trimming and shaping
all the time. Along with this, get some paring knives from Dexter-Russell.
They're very well made and inexpensive. An alternative, if you can find a
source for them are Mundial knives from Brazil: very nice and very cheap;

3. Get a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. It's not cheap: they tend to run
around $80 list, but you can often find them for $15-20 less. The sharpener
uses magnets to hold the knife at the correct angle and diamond-impregnated
bars to do the sharpening. For home use, nothing else comes close to giving
you a sharp, long lasting edge on your knives combined with ease of use.

W.

Old 13-05-2007, 10:48 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

Here are my thoughts on knives.

First off realize that you will be cooking for the rest of your life so if
you can afford good knives now then you should buy the best you can. If
that is out of the question for budgetary reasons, then you should buy the
best you can afford.

The first knife you should have is an 10 or a 12 inch chef's knife.

Number two would be a good serrated knife for bread.

Three would be a good paring knife.

Then you can get other knives and cleavers to get a complete set.

The better quality knives are made from a good quality steel, and there is a
trade off between high carbon that will hold an edge the longest and a good
stainless that holds an edge OK but you do not have to worry about leaving
it wet. For me my choice is stainless.

Better quality knives have the blade that goes all the way into the handle,
and the lesser quality they will only have a tang the cheapest quality has a
stamped blade pressed into a plastic handle made out of steel that is very
difficult to keep an edge. The better ones also have a finger guard forged
into the blade.

Since you asked the question here I assume you need the budget route so keep
your eyes open at the thrift stores. Older and dull is OK if it is quality.

You are also going to need to sharpen the knives you have. This is a skill
that can be learned. My preference for sharpening is a diamond hone that is
in the shape of a sharpening steel These work fast and last for years, but
I would ask a butcher for a mini lesson in how to sharpen the knives. A
properly sharpened knife will be able to shave hair from your arm.
A steel is good for maintaining an edge once properly sharpened. What a
steel does is to roll the burr back into a straight plane when it folds over
after hitting the bone, the plate or the cutting board. This tool is not to
be underrated. the cheap ones do not work worth a damn.

Old 13-05-2007, 11:57 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

On Sat, 12 May 2007, Frank wrote:

On May 12, 2:30 am, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
In article 5Kb1i.86$145.55@trnddc02,
says...

Thanks...
All that to spam the group?

Some newsservers add a tagline, the OP might not have had anything
to do with the spam tag.

Old 14-05-2007, 04:09 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens

news:Pine.OSX.4.64.0705131855560.5963@ucfilespace. uc.edu...

DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
In article 5Kb1i.86$145.55@trnddc02,
says...

Thanks...
All that to spam the group?

Some newsservers add a tagline, the OP might not have had anything
to do with the spam tag.

Do you think the newsserver also added the weird name?

Did you notice that the OP never answered my question?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington