Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers,rec.gardens
helco helco is offline

Default Basic Knives

wrote in message
I regularly harvest items from my veggie garden (e.g. chopping
the base of a lettuce head.)

Then, I chop the vegetables themselves - a wide range of items.
Hard like broccoli, to soft like tomatoes.

I also chop a few other things, like sausages and so forth.

And, for some reason, I feel a little annoyed with just using the
basic cheap medium kitchen knife that I have. Although I've had
it long enough to probably dull it, somewhat.

With a small budget, and small number of knives, what would you
buy, to make things go smoothly? (I am only gardening and
cooking for one person.)

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

The New York Times on May 9th carried an article about outfitting a kitchen
with the least fancy equipment possible: "A No-Frills Kitchen Still Cooks"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/di...a21c&e i=5070.

In case you can't get to that link, here's what he has to say about knives
(he suggests purchasing materials at a restaurant supply store):

"I started with an eight-inch, plastic-handle stainless alloy chef's knife
for $10. This is probably the most essential tool in the kitchen. People not
only obsess about knives (and write entire articles about them), but you can
easily spend over $100 on just one. Yet go into any restaurant kitchen and
you will see most of the cooks using this same plastic-handle Dexter-Russell
tool. (Go to the wrong store and you'll spend $20 or even $30 on the same
knife.)

"At $3, a paring knife was so cheap I could replace it every year or two. I
splurged on a Japanese mandoline for $25. (It's not indispensable, but since
my knife skills are pathetic, I use mine whenever I want thin, even slices
or a real julienne.)
"And, finally, something with which to keep those knives sharp. A whetstone
costs about $6, and if you use it, it will work fine; a decent steel is
expensive enough that you may as well graduate to an electric sharpener.
Though sharpeners take up counter space and cost at least $30, they work
well."

helco