Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alexander Miller Alexander Miller is offline

Default When Are Leek Seeds Ready?

Gary Woods wrote:

wrote:

|My leeks are putting up pods, which I am fairly sure are full of
|seeds.
|
|I'm not sure I'd call them pods...

Quite so. The plant puts up a tall stem with a big purple ball-shaped flower
which then develops hundreds of black seeds, each in a papery shell.

I've had varied success with saving & using these. I recently read that the
plants don't usually self-fertilise, so for viable seed you have to have at
least 2 plants flowering simultaneously.

But - ?? - if fertilisation didn't happen, would it still form things that look
exactly like seeds but just won't germinate?

Where are you? Here on coastal Vancouver island, my overwintered leeks are
nowhere near flowering. It will be late summer or fall before I could think
about collecting seed.

Maybe these aren't leeks. Garlic?

Alexander