Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default When Are Leek Seeds Ready?

Hi, everybody,

My leeks are putting up pods, which I am fairly sure are full of
seeds.

But how do I tell when they are mature to use?

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gary Woods wrote:

wrote:

|My leeks are putting up pods, which I am fairly sure are full of
|seeds.
|
|I'm not sure I'd call them pods...

Quite so. The plant puts up a tall stem with a big purple ball-shaped flower
which then develops hundreds of black seeds, each in a papery shell.

I've had varied success with saving & using these. I recently read that the
plants don't usually self-fertilise, so for viable seed you have to have at
least 2 plants flowering simultaneously.

But - ?? - if fertilisation didn't happen, would it still form things that look
exactly like seeds but just won't germinate?

Where are you? Here on coastal Vancouver island, my overwintered leeks are
nowhere near flowering. It will be late summer or fall before I could think
about collecting seed.

Maybe these aren't leeks. Garlic?

Alexander
Old 13-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:

| I live in west Scotland. Summers here are rainy and damp. So are
|autumns, winters, and springs.

Been there, done that! (Former Glesca Keelie)
Climate here (Port Alberni, Vancouver Island) is similar but - usually - summer
is hotter, drier, longer. So I guess I'll leave my leek seedheads open to the
weather this year and see what happens. The one I grow is called Durabel.

Say hello to Lochranza.

Alexander

Old 15-05-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Off topic for Janet in Arran

Janet Baraclough wrote:

| OK, you've earned a teeshirt. or at least a semmit :-)

A semmit? Stoshus; Rerr!

A radio pundit here was commenting on the recent pressure for Scottish
independence. He likened it to the situation with Quebec in Canada but "Without
the language issue."

I thought "Oh, really?"

Obviously he'd never been doon the Gallagate or into rural Fife, Angus, Aberdeen
etc.

In the bygaun, could thon McWilliams gommerel no be daein' wi' a moothfu o' wee
heidies?

Slainthe
(Damn this spellchecker!)

Alexander
Old 15-05-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On May 12, 5:46 pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Since I accidentally left leeks go to seed and discovered what
fantastically beautiful flowers they have, I let some do it every year.
The flower stems are 3 or 4 ft high and very strong (no staking required
even in this windy garden) The flowers have glaucous buds opening to
purple flowers, and then the handsome seedheads.

Janet

Onions and chives also.

[IMG] code is On

When Are Leek Seeds Ready? [email protected] Edible Gardening 1 12-05-2007 01:29 PM
Leek damage Robert United Kingdom 3 17-09-2003 08:23 AM
Leek seedlings? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 20-04-2003 11:23 PM
Leek seeds Alan Holmes United Kingdom 0 24-03-2003 03:44 PM
Leek query? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 05:29 PM