Old 12-05-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Potts Chris Potts is offline

Default big Gunneras

Beer Rock wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Duncan" wrote in message
.. .

May be a bit late this year, but I have "gardening rights" on a sizeable
bit of damp ground in North Yorkshire just crying out for something
spectacular and I thought G. manicata would fit the bill. But I couldn't
find any! Does anyone know where I might find this plant for sale in
North Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear or Teesside?

Hello Duncan,

We bought ours from Reighton Garden Centre which is just off the A165
between Filey and Bridlington, turn inland at the Doterel Pub and it is
about half a mile. I hope I have remembered this correctly, it is some
time ago. It is a privately run Garden Centre, well worth a visit, they
have lots of unusual plants, some very cheap.

We have found that our Gunera thrives without being in wet conditions,
the leaves aren't quite as spectacular as one grown in a bog, but we get
five or six leaves and a flower each year. The biggest leaves will be
nearly three feet across so they make quite a statement.

All the best,

Chris Potts